Android Software Engineer, Airbnb Plus
San Francisco, United States
What is Airbnb Plus?
Airbnb Plus is a new, innovative team at Airbnb transforming the company’s core business from the ground up by introducing a new global selection of homes verified for quality and comfort. We are growing our team and looking for talented engineers to join us in building the technology solutions that will help us scale Airbnb Plus to include millions of new homes. We operate at all levels of the stack: we’re responsible for the products that empower hosts to meet a higher standard of quality and design and grow their business through Airbnb and to attract a larger number of travelers to use Airbnb for the first time. The team focuses on providing a seamless end-to-end experience for our Plus hosts and guests. From high-throughput Java services, to Ruby user-facing applications, to mobile (iOS/Android) flows, to rich client-side applications using ReactJS, to data pipelines, to machine learning, we emphasize reliability, testability, quality, and solid engineering design.
When it comes to Mobile within Homes, the mobile platform has become the preferred means to book travel. It uniquely enables our hosts to be responsive even while on the go and enhances the travel experience of our guests by giving them highly relevant information when they need it. We believe that a clean, simple and easy to use interface is essential to achieving an optimal user experience. It is no surprise our apps have been featured in the Google Play Store, the iOS App Store and WWDC.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
What is Android at Airbnb?
Millions of Android users engage with the Airbnb app every day. As an Android engineer, you would be critical to the future success of Airbnb. We are looking for engineers who want to own large scope, drive huge impact and be stewards of our app for years to come.
If you are interested in product development, we’re looking for product-aware engineers who are thoughtful, creative, and passionate about building the best possible user experience. We’re looking for someone who is not only well-versed in Android development but also has strong UX/Product sensibilities and enjoys working closely with designers, product managers, and data scientists.
If you’re interested in mobile infrastructure, we’re looking for engineers who love collaborating in code reviews and having discussions about architecture and system design. We’re looking for someone who is motivated by helping their teammates become more productive whether that is through refining tools or building better frameworks.
- Homes 360 - Airbnb Plus is where high quality meets design personality. Every Plus home is verified to meet our bar. In the Plus 360 project, we want to build tools for hosts to submit a robust package of structured images, videos, 360 photos, and text about their home. Using this info, we can remotely evaluate whether the home meets our criteria. This will allow us to improve host experience and scale. Plus 360 requires capturing and submitting media. Having well designed and performant native apps are essential in accomplishing this.
- Plus HQ - We verify homes for quality, comfort, and style. The vetting process is complicated and requires much back and forth with the host. In Plus HQ projects, we are building a go-to place for our hosts to view their onboarding status, action items, next steps. This would enable us to provide them with educational content and help them throughout the process. When they become Plus hosts, they can use Plus HQ to see their performance and earnings.
- Field workforce app - We are working on different ways to make our operations more scalable and efficient. We believe building an app that allows inspectors and photographers to manage their calendar availability, accept incoming requests, view appointment details, and perform home verification tasks, can make them much more efficient.
- Intelligent image loading - How would image sizes impact performance and business metrics? At Plus, we care about both online and offline product quality. Therefore, we want to measure image views at runtime and request the parameterized URL to fit the view exactly. This way we can use high-quality listing photos without negatively impacting our users with low bandwidth or small devices.
- Accessibility - Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. With this in mind, Android engineers worked tirelessly to ensure the entire experience is accessible for everyone. We were able to achieve this by recruiting advocates, rallying the Airbnb Android community, holding in house training for engineers and designers, accumulating a knowledge repository from scratch, and most importantly, building the momentum and transforming the culture to prioritize building features with Accessibility from the onset of a project.
- 2+ years industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Experience shipping one or more Android apps, ideally currently available in the Google Play Store
- Proficiency in Java or Kotlin and knowledge of the Android SDK and open-source Android ecosystem
- Personal projects that show an aptitude for technical excellence or product sense
- Advanced analytical thinking; experienced with making product decisions based on data and A/B testing
- Interest in innovations within the mobile industry
- Airbnb Mobile Tech Talk recorded at Airbnb HQ
- TechCrunch - Airbnb makes checking in easier
- Epoxy - Epoxy is an Android library for building complex screens in a RecyclerView
- MvRx - Kotlin based framework that makes Android screens, from the simplest to the most complex, significantly easier to develop and maintain. See our blog post, Introducing MvRx: Android on Autopilot
- Lottie - library for Android and iOS that parses Adobe After Effects animations and renders them natively
- Paris - define and apply styles to Android views programmatically
- Wall Street Journal: With an IPO planned, the company seeks to broaden its appeal beyond home rentals
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.