Backend Software Engineer, Developer Productivity
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is the world's largest marketplace for space, and we keep getting bigger every day. With over 100M million nights booked per year and counting, we're constantly tackling challenges in search algorithms, payments, fraud prevention, and growth — all while maintaining a beautiful user experience. To support the rapid growth in our business, we've also rapidly grown our engineering team.
The Developer Productivity team builds the tools, platforms and frameworks to ensure that Airbnb engineers can develop, test and deploy high-quality code safely and at scale. Airbnb is moving our infrastructure at an accelerated pace towards a SOA (Service-Oriented Architecture) and the Developer Productivity team is enabling that transformation. Our team is impactful and high-leverage: we work every day to make the entire engineering organization more productive. We’re infrastructure engineers with a human focus: customer-centric, quality driven, helpful and empathetic.
Aligned with our company mission, Belong Anywhere, we value the importance of diversity and belonging in the workplace, and that's why we commit to not discriminating on basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
What you’ll do:
- You will bring joy to ~1000 developers every day!
- You will contribute to our in-house CI/CD system, the largest distributed system at Airbnb
- You will collaborate with our customers (other Airbnb developers) to understand their needs and ensure our team works on the right things
- You will enhance our cloud-based development environment, which uses Kubernetes and Docker to provide every developer with the environments and workflows they need to create and develop their services.
- You will build the frameworks and core libraries that scale the development of services at Airbnb.
- You will conceive our next-generation continuous-integration and continuous delivery systems
- You will write tools to provide fast, stable builds and tests across our entire tech stack
- You will create infrastructure to run end-to-end integration tests
- You will become an evangelizer of your work, open sourcing it, describing it in blog posts, and talking about it at conferences
Work we’ve done:
- Standardized how engineers build services at Airbnb (Build Services At Airbnb [part 1, part 2]).
- Created and open sourced a platform for creating fast, deterministic UI tests for the Android platform
- Built Deployboard [talk, talk], our in-house tool for deploying thousands of services.
- Added support for mixed-language (ObjC / Swift) iOS development to Buck [blog post, now in Buck core]
- Built Airlab, a cloud-based developer environment
- Enable fast monorepo Java builds using Gradle (our usage of Gradle's remote build cache was cited during the keynote of Gradle Summit 2017)
- Containerized our CI platform to be flexible, simple and portable [talk]
- Pioneered a new way of thinking about service orchestration at Airbnb: centralizing configuration and departing from Chef in favor of Kubernetes.
- You are passionate about automation, efficiency, and developer happiness!
- You have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a team and across engineering teams.
- You are enthused by software quality, standards, best-practices and test-automation (e.g., the testing pyramid, UI feature specs)
- You are a full-cycle developer: experience operating and developing high-scale, distributed systems across the full software life cycle.
- You are ambitious and adaptable (both technically and professionally).
What we’re looking for:
- Degree in computer science or equivalent experience.
- 4+ years of full-time, industry experience as a software engineer.
- Cloud infrastructure and container experience (AWS, GCE, Azure, Kubernetes, Docker) a strong plus
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...