Software Engineer, Payments Infrastructure
San Francisco, United States
What is Payments Engineering at Airbnb?
The Payments team at Airbnb provides the financial platform to facilitate payments for all products on Airbnb. We’re a fast-growing team that has a 50+ billion dollar global footprint: We have as much volume as Venmo, 3x more currencies than PayPal, and 7x more countries supported than Stripe.
As an infrastructure engineer here, you’ll have the opportunity to build out the infrastructure that touches all the main lines of the Airbnb Payments stack, from our core payments platform to our commerce platform, financial Intelligence, and more. We’re creating and promoting shared processes, tools, and infrastructure that drive system reliability, availability, and performance. We’re responsible for making sure every transaction at Airbnb is observable across the end-to-end platform during each stage of the payment and is handled reliably.
We’re looking for people with a strong background (or interest!) in systems. We’d love to hear from you whether you’re a seasoned systems developer, or whether you’ve just learned you might like working with databases.
Meet the people, learn about the challenges, and read more about what we do at Payments here.
What is an Infrastructure Software Engineer on Payments at Airbnb?
An infrastructure engineer on Payments has the opportunity to build infrastructure that powers one of the largest payments and commerce platforms that power all Airbnb products as well as 3rd party products through partnership and acquisition. We build infrastructure to make sure that we are always driving towards performant, forward thinking solutions.
- Design, build, and maintain the core infrastructure used by all of Airbnb Payments engineering teams
- Plan for the growth of Airbnb Payments
- Build a great user experience for engineers using your infrastructure
- Work in partnership with the overall Airbnb Infrastructure team and other Payments engineers who use the systems you’re building
Some Upcoming Projects:
- In order to maintain a good user experience, to ensure consistency through the asynchronous payment cycle, we build tools to accurately measure and track a transaction’s end to end state and contents in real time. You can find how Airbnb is measuring transactional integrity.
- Engineers in Airbnb payments always strive to maximize the quality and efficiency of service development. In partnership with the Developer Platform teams, we are building out Payments specific environments, CI, and deployment tools to improve development and deployment velocity, while minimizing regressions.
- You’ll be helping us to plan out our service and data infrastructure going forward as we continue to scale, roll out to new AWS regions and need to localize our data. We’ll need to redesign our systems for resilience as well.
- 4+ years industry experience
- Experience as a backend engineer, writing in Java, Ruby/Ruby on Rails or the like.
- Experience with architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web applications, such as well-designed APIs, scalable and reliable services, high volume data pipelines, and efficient algorithms.
- Likes thinking about distributed systems - their edge cases, failure modes, and lifecycles
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.