Policy Development Lead
San Francisco, United States
About this role:
"No global movement springs from individuals. It takes an entire team united behind something big."
It is our mission to work closely with politicians, regulators, and legislators across the world to educate them about Airbnb and the “sharing economy”, highlight the significant social and economic impact our business has on towns, regions and cities, and showcase best practices from around the world. We want policy makers to understand the regulatory challenges that affect our host community and find solutions that are good for our thriving local communities.
Airbnb is seeking a Policy Development Lead for Global Policy Development (within the Public Policy Team) based in San Francisco. The ideal candidate will be passionate about Airbnb and the sharing economy, and have proven experience in managing teams and processes to build consensus among various stakeholders on high stakes, rapidly evolving policy issues. The ideal candidate will have an exceptional ability to work across disciplines to achieve transformative results. Such a candidate may have developed their expertise through experience in the corporate, public, or nonprofit sectors. Experience in a campaign, startup, e-commerce, or other high-growth, fast-paced company is an advantage. This job may involve both internal and external policy interactions. As such, a successful candidate must be able to work with both internal and external stakeholders throughout the entire legislative process.
Travel is required and may be necessary up to 25% of the time.
- Work with the Director of Global Policy Development to manage a highly skilled and motivated team charged with engaging with cross-functional teams business-wide to develop, implement, and evaluate solutions to complex policy issues with significant business impact.
- Support the development and implementation of Airbnb’s policy priorities by working with various business stakeholders to foster consensus and shared action plans.
- Advise teams throughout Airbnb on public policy matters to guide development of products, services, and policies.
- Provide policy expertise to local Public Policy Campaigns to ensure legislative and regulatory advocacy support the future growth of the global business. Review regulatory language, draft redlines, and research issues to provide analysis and critical thinking on legislation affecting Airbnb’s priorities.
- Develop best practices on a wide range of public policy issues related to Short Term Rentals and housing. Present strategic recommendations to senior leadership across multiple functions.
- Build and manage interdepartmental relationships with stakeholders located across multiple countries.
- Partner with finance, data science, and business operations on understanding the effects of regulatory change.
- At least 10+ years experience working with policy issues in a relevant business or non-governmental organization, or in a political, governmental or regulatory context (a mix of public and private sector experience is an advantage).
- Degree or advanced degree level in related field.
- Direct policy experience, preferably in one of the following fields: tourism, land use, housing, landlord/tenant law, trade, tax law, public safety, national security, or e-commerce/internet regulation.
- Ability to quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues.
- Strong analysis and critical thinking skills; ability to resolve complex and unfamiliar problems in a creative and timely manner and gather/analyze information skillfully.
- Ability to navigate complex internal organization, with the skills to confidently negotiate issues and manage and prioritize several competing projects or tasks. Ability to be flexible, responsive, take initiative, and close the loop on all communications and projects.
- Ability to influence people and manage effectively in ambiguity with little input or direction.
- Strong interpersonal skills to create easy working relationship with internal team, as well as external constituents and partners.
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal and presentation skills, both for subject matter experts and the layperson.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- A passion for home sharing, travel and Airbnb’s mission.
- Understanding of business analytics is a strong plus.
Airbnb is committed to working with the best and brightest people from the broadest talent pool possible. We believe a diversity of ideas fosters innovation and engagement, and allows us to attract the best people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. Qualified individuals from all walks of life are encouraged to apply.