Senior Counsel, Payments (Regulatory)
San Francisco, United States
We are looking for brilliant minds to join Airbnb. In particular, those who have a passion for the sharing economy and the drive and dedication needed to continue delighting our users and to enable them to share unique and meaningful experiences around the world.
Based in San Francisco, your role as a member of Airbnb’s legal team will involve working closely with business, compliance, product, and legal partners to advise on financial services regulation to support our payments platform. Your role will require a high degree of self-sufficiency, organizational skills, pro-activity and an ability to enjoy a quick-paced and busy environment. We’re looking for a highly adaptable and collaborative person who can handle ambiguity and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility, patience, and poise. This role reports to the Lead Counsel, Payments.
- Provide legal guidance regarding licenses and registrations for payments activities, including maintenance of U.S. state money transmission licenses, financial and administrative reporting (as appropriate), and regulatory examinations.
- Represent the company on payments regulatory matters before federal and state agencies, banking partners, and other external audiences.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for product, compliance, engineering and business teams on federal and state payments laws and regulations.
- Inform strategic decisions around licensing, registration, and consumer protection in the development of financial products and services.
- Collaborate effectively with international counsel to ensure consistency across the product and provide globally-aligned legal advice.
- Stay up-to-date and help keep the team advised on legal, regulatory, and policy developments relevant to payments and financial services.
- J.D. and 9+ years of relevant experience in law firms, governmental agencies, and/or in-house legal departments, including significant experience on financial services regulatory matters. In-house payments experience at an e-commerce platform or FinTech company is preferred.
- Deep understanding of payments laws and regulations, including U.S. state money transmission licensing regimes and consumer protection laws.
- Strong working knowledge of the Airbnb platform, evolving product lines, and competitive landscape, as well as an interest in and passion for Airbnb’s mission.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to make complex regulatory concepts clear to business teams, engineers, lawyers, and regulators.
- Proactive, adaptable, self-directed person who can, with poise and patience, prioritize and manage multiple projects and recalibrate in response to shifting priorities, process change, and risk tolerance.
- High level of integrity, professionalism, intellectual curiosity, sense of humor, and desire and passion to learn and grow.
- Member of the California Bar (in good standing) or eligible to register as California Registered In-House Counsel.