Engineering Manager, Payments
San Jose, United States
The Payments team at Airbnb is responsible for everything related to settling money in Airbnb’s global marketplace. We build technology that powers Airbnb’s massive daily transaction volume to collect payments from guests and distribute payouts to hosts. Our goal is to make the Payment experience on Airbnb as delightful, magical, intuitive, and easy as possible.
See https://www.airbnb.com/careers/departments/engineering/payments to learn more about the team.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager for our new South Bay (San Jose) Payment team to build and lead the team that will be responsible for payment backend systems that manage accounts / balances and our ledgering system.
We value Engineering Managers who have:
- 4+ years of hands-on technical management experience
- 8+ years of relevant engineering work experience
- Strong coding abilities and experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications
- Experience with building payments systems
- Experience in partnering with other leaders in setting product strategy
- Successfully partnered with Product, Data Science, Finance, Legal, and Compliance functions
- Experience working with and leading cross site teams
- Track record in partnering with recruiting to build incredible engineering teams
- Actively coached and mentored team members in their careers
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering
- Shipped several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
- Bonus: Proficiency with Ruby on Rails & Java
Our team owns the movement of money across all of AirBnB. We hold ourselves and our team members to a very high bar:
- We are a team of entrepreneurs that are highly autonomous and full stack.
- We care about availability, reliability, testability, and solid engineering design.
- We keep up with change by evolving as individuals.
- Our top priorities change frequently where we constantly pivot towards things that are high impact.
- We are adaptive and well-balanced when considering solutions and the spectrum of possibilities.
- We recognize that creating software is a technical exercise mixed into a social exercise and thus communication matters, being proactive matters, and being influential matters.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...