Backend Software Engineer, South Bay
San Jose, United States
Airbnb is the world's largest marketplace for space, and we keep getting bigger every day. With over 100M nights booked per year and counting, we're constantly tackling challenges in search algorithms, payments, fraud prevention, and growth — all while maintaining a beautiful user experience. To support the rapid growth in our business, we've also rapidly grown our engineering team. Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
What is a Backend Software Engineer on Growth Infrastructure at Airbnb?
The vision for the Growth & Traffic team is to drive long term sustainable growth for the Airbnb community. Our mission is to build best-in-class infrastructure and expertise to support the growth of all Airbnb businesses, current and future. Our team powers the infrastructure behind the Growth ecosystem at Airbnb.
Growth is a fast paced, data oriented discipline. There is a wide variety of optimizations for targeting content across various channels. This includes content optimization, timing optimization and targeting optimization. There is also a high need for these systems to be as simple to use as possible, so different teams can onboard.
We aim to provide a self-serve platform or creating and delivering content in search, email, push notifications and other channels so that every team within Airbnb across the world is empowered to autonomously create personalized promotions to be delivered to guests and hosts at the right place, at the right moment, with the right message. Challenges include:
- High throughput services for audience targeting, content selection ranking, frequency capping, and more across all channels
- Infrastructure for supporting high volume delivery of all emails, push notifications, SMS, and more
- 6+ years industry experience
- Experience developing high throughput infrastructure, which works can support optimizations via machine learning and data.
- Experience in any of the following: Java, C++, Scala, Python/Django, C#, Go or other server side languages.
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web applications, such as well-designed APIs, scalable and reliable services, high volume data pipelines, and efficient algorithms.
- Experience or desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with design, product, data science, and research partners.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.