Safety Service Manager
Dublin, Ireland or
San Francisco, United States
Position Summary/Core Responsibilities
Airbnb is about hospitality and helping people to Belong Anywhere and the Community Support team supports this mission with a vision to ‘build the world’s most loyal travel community through exceptional service’.
In your role as a Safety Service Manager, you will demonstrate extremely specialized experience in personal/physical safety issues both online & offline. You will work as part of the overall PMO and Engagement team, owning the Safety service area end-to-end from initial design to a mature state of continuous improvement. The ultimate remit of the Service Manager is to ensure that their service area delivers the safest experience possible for our community in an efficient and effective way that is aligned with the needs of our businesses across people, product and technology. You will set targets for your tier’s performance, and be held accountable to hitting those these goals. You will need to take a global approach, but understand regional and market nuances in order to act as a leader and innovator in your area of expertise and advising others on the team.
To achieve this, you should have a strong subject matter expertise in Safety as well as a solid knowledge of operations. You will liaise with Business Engagement Managers and to understand the requests from the business and deliver the support needed in your service area as well as work closely with the Head of Global Operations, Regional Operations Managers, Product Managers, the design, research & content strategy team (EPIC) and external stakeholders to ensure they have the operational foundation in place to deliver on regional service level metrics. Specific core responsibilities include:
- Creating a compelling service vision: You will be forward-looking and keep on top of industry and internal trends, build an annual vision of your service area to give clear direction and definition to all stakeholders on what excellent service is in your area, and how it needs to evolve to exceed customers’ expectations. You will also focus on promoting and educating stakeholders on your service area where applicable.
- Building and prioritizing strategic initiatives: You will translate your vision into clear strategic pillars and supporting roadmap and seek buy-in from identified stakeholders.
- Sound operational foundations for your service area: You will ensure that your service area has supporting operational foundations in place for Operations to drive effective performance (including Key Performance Indicators, reporting, workflows, tools, shared services support, etc.).
- Global service area performance: Regional Operations Managers will have accountability for regional service performance and the Head of Global Operations will have accountability for global level performance, the Service Manager will partner with your BA business partner closely and should have a thorough understanding of global service performance; be able to identify drivers of strong performance, call out service trends, and identify areas of improvement.
- Leading service design: You will be responsible for driving the service design for any new services areas under your remit, as well as consistently reviewing service performance to identify service design improvements, you will work closely in conjunction with cross-functional teams to identify service design initiatives and ensure delivery within agreed time frames.
- Global team resourcing: Partner with our workforce management team to determine resource modeling, both at outsourcing partners and internal employees.
- Balance quality with cost: Design the ideal outcome based on service quality and then optimize the unit economics of the Tier in partnership with Financial Planning & Analysis.
- Define needs for third party vendors: It's your responsibility to ensure third party vendors understand your Tier's highest priority needs. Airbnb's engineering and TIX teams will own relationship with vendors, but you will be a key stakeholder driving definition of requirements and phasing.
Degree level (BA/BS)
MBA (or equivalent Masters) is strongly preferred
- 15+ years of experience in safety, operations or crisis management with a track record and knowledge across the business
- Experience thinking strategically about issues and escalations
- Experience working cross-functionally with all levels of management, both internally and externally
- Experience with project management, leading and executing multiple projects
- Communication and presentation experience
- Service design experience
- Previous experience leading operational teams across regions and functions
- Community Focus: Is passionate about delivering world class customer support, seeks to understand stakeholders’ needs through feedback, balancing the needs of customers, employees, and Airbnb in business decision-making.
- Results focus: Very numerical; drives decisions with data. Is able to dig into the details of the data, but also zoom out and see the bigger impact. Considers all stages of the customer journey and drives for results, but is also willing to experiment and take risks.
- Cultivating relationships: Can establish strong relationships across levels, teams and departments at Airbnb (Regional Directors, Regional Operations Managers, Support Products, Shared Services, and within the business units or platform teams), and has an ability to work cross-functionally to deliver results.
- Dealing with ambiguity: Accepts challenges with imperfect information. Works to always get more clarity and is an open and transparent communicator about what is known and not known.
Skills and Abilities
- Creating compelling vision and supporting roadmap - Uses knowledge of service best practices (internally & externally) to easily translate that into a compelling vision that is aligned with Airbnb’s mission and business priorities.
- Excellent communication skills - Including the ability to present to large and senior audiences, inspiring the global team, providing clear direction to teams, and communicating on results.
- Creative thinker & problem solver - You can assess a problem, opportunity or business challenge quickly and make strong decisions based on facts presented or based on previous experience. You look for new and creative ways to move the business forward. You use your contacts internally and externally to solve problems quickly and efficiently, with the best outcome in mind.
- Service design skills - Has an understanding of the approach and tools & techniques needed to drive a service design mentality and focus within your service area remit.