Senior Staff Engineer, Host/Guest
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb is powered by our Host and Guest communities. Our teams work on everything from driving improvements for the end-to-end Host and Guest experience to launching new product verticals from the ground up. Our job is to build world-class, comprehensive platforms and features to create high quality experiences for our outstanding community of Hosts and Guests.
We have multiple positions open in the following areas:
- Bookings: This team is responsible for building systems to support booking and reservations experiences for Stays and Experiences. The team takes an end-to-end approach with the two-pronged goal of making it easy for guests to book on Airbnb, and making it simple and convenient for Hosts to get their first booking and manage their bookings.
- Communication & Connectivity: This team focuses on connection and communication to and among our Host & Guest communities across Stays and Experiences. This team brings together Messaging, Notification, Ambassadors, Co-Hosting and Partner Integration platform & API.
- Users, Listings & Platforms: This team encompasses Users, Listings, and Data foundation team to enable better Host personalization, as well as Media & Ops, Taxonomy, Quality & Review and Host Onboarding & Management.
What you will do:
As a senior technical individual contributor, you will partner closely with our senior leaders across the broader technical organization. Although you will be at one of our highest levels of seniority, all individual contributors at Airbnb are Software Engineers which means we expect you to be hands on and contribute code.
- Define overall technical architecture for major parts of the Host/Guest organization
- Architect large scale reliable systems to support continuous growth of the business
- Influence the organization, engineering leaders, product managers, and the business to develop a unified approach to Hosting overall architecture
- Implement significant portions of the system and help others in the implementation
- Understand how key technical decisions will drive business outcomes and deliver frameworks and platforms that improve delivery with high-quality to those outcomes
- Performing design and code reviews and advise/mentor other engineers at Airbnb
What we are looking for:
- 10-15+ years relevant experience in a fast paced, high growth tech environment
- Experience building, leading, and architecting full-stack products and systems at enterprise scale with a great impact
- Technical leadership: hands on experience leading project teams, setting technical direction and strategy, and working cross functionally with Product and Data Science teams
- Strong communication and collaboration skills. Examples of working across teams and organizations on technical initiatives.