Senior Staff Software Engineer, Cloud Infrastructure
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can Belong Anywhere. Our community of guests and hosts rely on Airbnb around the clock to provide the tools they need to find a safe place to stay and to facilitate unique experiences. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add senior technical contributors to solve our broad technical challenges and deep dive into our most critical infrastructure projects.
The Cloud Infrastructure team is responsible for delivering and operating the foundational platforms and cloud environment that power Airbnb. With users around the world, reliability, scalability, efficiency and high availability are our team’s core concerns.
As a senior technical individual contributor, you will bring a unique skill set, experience, thought leadership and technical expertise to our organization, and work to solve broad technical challenges and deep dive into our most critical infrastructure projects. You’ll work on the fundamental infrastructure components that all other teams at Airbnb build upon, such as our compute platform, platform as a service offerings, service discovery, cloud provisioning and networking stack.
What we are looking for:
- 10+ years relevant industry experience in a fast paced, high growth tech environment
- Technical leadership experience driving engineering quality, rigor, vision and planning for a foundational platform organization.
- Track record of architecting and delivering large foundational infrastructure at web scale, efficiency and reliability (i.e. compute platforms, cloud environments, service discovery, platform as a service infrastructure, Kubernetes)
- Expert level expertise with public cloud providers (AWS, GCP, Azure) desired
What we’ve done:
- Introduced a Kubernetes backed compute platform to the company and led the migration of hundreds of new and existing services to Kubernetes, helping to deprecate Airbnb’s monolith.
- Rolled out auto-scaling across all of Airbnb’s Kubernetes clusters to provide elasticity and improved efficiency.
- Built tooling to allow users to deploy microservices to production with a simple set of commands.
- Built out the first phase of our next generation service mesh using Envoy and Istio to connect all of Airbnb’s services.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more…