Senior Software Engineer, Trust Defense (China SF)
San Francisco, United States
What is Trust at Airbnb?
Over two million people stay on Airbnb every night and the Trust Engineering team keeps our hosts and guests safe and supported throughout the entire Airbnb experience.
As part of the Trust Engineering team you will be in charge of designing and building scalable and robust systems to detect and mitigate fraud across our entire platform. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of building highly available and real-time risk detection services in close collaboration with product, data science and operations teams to understand ever evolving attack vectors and to make Airbnb the most safe and trusted community.
What is Backend Engineer on Trust at Airbnb?
This team is responsible for identifying and taking an action on suspicious accounts and logins, objectionable content, and fraudulent transactions. We use graph analysis and large scale systems programming to ensure that content on Airbnb is safe, legitimate and inclusive.
As a Backend Engineer on Trust, you help keep Airbnb safe by protecting Airbnb and its community from account takeovers, objectionable content, fraudulent transactions, hate speech, spam and other kinds of fraud and abuse. You are in charge of designing and implementing scalable and robust real-time risk detection systems, rules engines, graph analysis systems and text, photo and video similarity services to uncover malicious and fraudulent content. You contribute to a variety of critical organizational efforts like:
- Building a long-term technology stack that is service-oriented, modular, granular, observable, and efficient
- Building a shared infrastructure that would allow teams to implement standardized enforcement strategies from risk classification, to bad activity remediation, to restoration flow for non-malicious users
- We created a multi-tiered system of user verifications to protect Airbnb user accounts, including defenses such as SMS code and email verification, micro-authorization challenges, 3-D Secure, and more.
- The team built the data pipeline to ingest rich chargeback data from an array of payment processors in a robust and scalable manner, payin and payout anomaly detection systems which analyze hundreds of thousands transactions every day.
- The team built the high-throughput low-latency framework to intercept all platform requests for risk evaluation purposes, check user capability restrictions and apply remediation actions to mitigate risk.
- We've built the rules engine system similar to Facebook's Haxl which is highly optimized for efficient fetching and batching of large amounts of data that powers all our machine learning models.
- 6+ years of industry experience building large-scale backend systems
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Ability to write high performance production quality code
- Experience and interest in working with other engineers and cross functional partners in product and design to build a world class online and offline product
- Experience working on classification problems is a plus, e.g. payments fraud, text/sentiment classification, or spam detection
- Machine learning, deep learning, natural language processing, computer vision, pattern recognition, large-scale data mining or artificial intelligence experience is a plus, but not required
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.