Senior iOS Engineer, Marketplace Dynamics (MDX)
San Francisco, United States
What is the Homes team at Airbnb?
Whenever anyone thinks of Airbnb, the first thing that comes to mind is Homes. Homes is Airbnb’s core business and we work on everything from driving improvements to the Guest and Host experience to launching new initiatives from the ground up. Within Homes engineering, you can have a significant impact on a wide range of Airbnb products and users. You will be on a small team designed to maximize your ability to deliver results. If you are motivated by how much visibility your work has, how much it impacts the company's bottom line, how many users see your work, or how it will impact your career growth, Homes is a great place to launch your Airbnb career.
What is the Marketplace Dynamics team within Homes at Airbnb?
The Marketplace Dynamics team directly impacts the success of guests, hosts and Airbnb’s business by giving tools to hosts pricing their listings, establishing effective cancellation policies, and optimizing Airbnb’s fees and monetization strategy. The team also provides a common understanding of marketplace dynamics through data acquisition and models that the entire Homes organization can use to inform strategy, power products, and drive growth. We’re looking for engineers who are thoughtful, creative, and passionate about building the best possible product infra, services, and product experiences, working closely with designers, product managers, and data scientists.
Across the team, Marketplace Dynamics engineers at Airbnb operate at all levels, including core services, data pipelines, essential business systems, mobile products, and customer-facing features. We’re responsible for a range of product surfaces across Host and Guest experiences in the marketplace, and the initiatives we drive span across foundational core infrastructure to rapid feature iteration.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
The Role: You will build iOS products that contribute across all MDX teams: improve how guests experience and understand pricing, fees and cancellation policy for booking Airbnb, help hosts stay competitively through pricing and availability tools on mobile, and much more!
The Team and Sample Projects: The MDX Mobile team is responsible for building mobile products that contribute to all MDX product and platform teams, including pricing experience, monetization and cancellations and MDX platform, which provides a wide range of high impact projects to work on.
- Create Promotions Hub on native to allow hosts to create customizable promotions for their listings
- Architect and build server-driven pricing display strategy to allow for platform consistency and improve iteration speed
- Add total booking price to nightly price display to help guest easily compare prices
- Add strike-through price promotions enabled bookings to merchandise special promotions and competitive pricing
- Improve native host calendar to allow for easier access to pricing information and address other host issues using calendar
- 5+ years industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Experience shipping one or more Swift or Objective-C iOS apps, ideally currently available in the App Store.
- Personal projects that show an aptitude for technical excellence and product sense.
- Strong knowledge of Swift and Objective-C.
- Ability to work in areas outside of your usual comfort zone and show motivation for personal growth.
- Interest in innovations within the mobile industry.
- Advanced analytical thinking; experienced with making product decisions based on data and A/B testing
- Proficiency in Swift or Kotlin and knowledge of the Android SDK and open-source Android ecosystem
- Airbnb Mobile Tech Talk recorded at Airbnb HQ
- Epoxy - Epoxy is an Android library for building complex screens in a RecyclerView
- MvRx - Kotlin based framework that makes Android screens, from the simplest to the most complex, significantly easier to develop and maintain. See our blog post, Introducing MvRx: Android on Autopilot
- Lottie - library for Android and iOS that parses Adobe After Effects animations and renders them natively
- Paris - define and apply styles to Android views programmatically
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Marketplace Dynamics team in based in Airbnb's San Francisco headquarters. Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly!