Staff Backend Engineer, Community Support Platform
Seattle, United States
What is Support Products at Airbnb?
Airbnb places a high value on ensuring that our community of guests and hosts have a great experience. When issues come up, it’s important for us to support them.
We have a team called Support Products which is responsible for this goal. The team owns all of the touchpoints involved in providing support, including portions of our website and mobile apps, as well as our contact channels (phone, messaging), and the internal tools that our customer support agents use to provide support throughout the world.
We measure our success on customer satisfaction and business efficiency. For the latter, we track how often our customers need to contact us, and, when they do, how long it takes our representatives to solve the case. We are a data-driven team. We run a lot of A/B experiments and we can tie our contributions directly to the company’s bottom line.
What is the Community Support Platform?
Backend engineers on the Community Support Platform team build world-class tools for our team of Community Support ambassadors around the world, to ensure our guests and hosts have a great experience on Airbnb, 24/7, and 365 days a year.
Airbnb has a huge global operational staff that must scale with our user base. Our job as engineers is as challenging as it is exciting: We own the entire tech stack responsible for their success.
Some example projects we have shipped:
- A new real-time messaging channel for contacting Customer Experience
- An advanced ticket routing system to match user issues against available customer service agent skills
- Advanced analytical data pipelines for monitoring performance, stability, and tool usage
- The end-to-end application that agents use to interact with community profiles, tickets, reservations, and user data - pulling data from dozens of other Airbnb services
Our product feedback loop is immediate which means we can rapidly iterate and deploy. If you enjoy building applications from the ground up, leveraging the newest technologies to delight users, and executing like an entrepreneur, then you’ve found the right place.
- Build services and APIs to drive existing and new features for web and mobile apps
- Work with data scientists and business analysts to define, capture, and use real-time event data for business insights and product features
- Collaborate with infrastructure engineering teams to participate in, validate, and evolve how we build, test, and deploy code in a distributed Service-Oriented Architecture
- Alter existing and develop new data access and protection patterns to ensure our community’s personal data is safe and secure, at scale
- Architect and develop the complex distributed systems that power our community support products and services
- 8+ years of industry experience in Backend or Full-Stack engineering.
- Experience designing and implementing the architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications including queueing, caching, and message buses
- Experience with development best practices such as A/B testing, continuous integration
- Understanding of data structures and problem solving approaches, and ability to articulate trade offs
- Passion for creating a highly effective technology platform for our growing global workforce
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Much more…