Senior/Staff Backend Engineer, Data Warehouse Infrastructure
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can Belong Anywhere. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Engineering Managers to lead our engineering efforts.
Our team is impactful and high-leverage: we work every day to make the entire engineering organization more productive. We’re infrastructure engineers with a human focus: customer-centric, quality driven, helpful and empathetic.
The team has worked on various technologies to empower large scale data processing from message-bus, workflow scheduling, capacity management, query optimizations, data lake storage. You’ll work alongside a team of talented software developers that work to scale the big data infrastructure for Airbnb engineers.
As a senior technical individual contributor, you will bring a unique skill set and experience to our organization, and work to solve some of the broader technical challenges. Our engineering organization is one where we value everyone’s input and ideas. Although you will be at the senior level or higher, all individual contributors at Airbnb are Software Engineers, will be expected to be hands on, and contribute code.
What we are looking for:
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 6+ years of industry experience.
- Expertise in Java, Scala, or other JVM-based languages, and Python.
- Working experience with Spark, like contributing to Spark core or performance tunings.
- Experience in building high performance distributed data-intensive systems.
- Experience working with Hive, Flink, or Trino is a plus.
- Proactiveness, good communication and the ability to learn quickly.
- Ability to work in areas outside of your usual comfort zone.
What you could be working on:
- Evolve the pub-sub systems to provide service developers an easy-to-use, reliable and robust message-bus infrastructure.
- Improve real-time stream compute capabilities and enable business critical applications.
- Enhance the Hadoop and Spark ecosystem to provide data users a reliable and scalable infrastructure.
- Pioneer a new way of thinking about data pipelines and workflow orchestration at Airbnb.
- Build and maintain scalable and reliable storage/compute services to serve the whole company.
- Work with business and platform teams and build data infrastructure solutions to support various use cases.
- Evaluate cutting edge technologies in the industry and bring those to suit Airbnb needs.
What benefits do we have?
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 paid hours per month for community service)
- Company-sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more...
Candidate Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.