Engineering Manager, i18N
San Francisco, United States
Engineering Manager, I18N
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can Belong Anywhere. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Engineering Managers to lead our engineering efforts.
The Internationalization (I18n) engineering team builds systems and libraries that enable Airbnb to ship to a global audience. Airbnb is international. 69% of bookings connect a guest and host from different countries. 61% of bookings connect a guest and host who use Airbnb in different languages. In 2019, Airbnb doubled its language offerings to 62 and in Bytelevel Research’s 2020 Globalization Report Card Airbnb ranked in the top 10 global websites for the first time.
The I18n team is part of our Developer Platform org. Airbnb is rapidly moving our infrastructure to a Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA). Our team is impactful and high-leverage: we work every day to make the entire engineering organization more productive. We’re infrastructure engineers with a human focus: customer-centric, quality driven, helpful and empathetic.
Aligned with our company mission, Belong Anywhere, we value the importance of diversity and belonging in the workplace, and that's why we commit to not discriminating on basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Some examples of current i18n work:
- Building a scalable infrastructure to enable management and delivery of localized content on all Airbnb product surfaces
- Building the next generation of machine-driven translation workflows to provide delightful and high quality localization of user-generated content
- Providing efficient polyglot libraries and tooling for Airbnb engineers to seamlessly integrate internationalization capabilities in their code and services
Some examples of current infrastructure work:
- Pioneering a new way of thinking about service orchestration at Airbnb: centralizing configuration and departing from Chef in favor of Kubernetes.
- Building the core libraries, frameworks and tools that power standard service development, enhance service resilience and reduce service maintenance overhead. (“Building Services At Airbnb” [part 1, part 2, part 3])
- Scaling up our in-house CI/CD system, the largest distributed system at Airbnb.
- Enhancing our cloud-based development environment, which uses Kubernetes and Docker to provide every developer with their own private replica of Airbnb.
- Creating our next-generation continuous-integration and continuous delivery systems.
- Providing fast, stable builds and tests across our entire tech stack.
- Creating infrastructure, frameworks and environments to run end-to-end integration tests, including a platform for fast, deterministic UI tests for Android [blog post, github].
- Adding support for mixed-language (ObjC / Swift) iOS development to Buck [blog post, now in Buck core].
We value Engineering Managers who have:
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in computer science or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 7+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 2+ hands-on technical management experience.
- Exceptional coding abilities and experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications.
- Experience architecting, building, and maintaining highly available services in a large service-oriented architecture (SOA).
- Familiarity with patterns, libraries and frameworks for building and testing services, and service-to-service communication.
- Been actively involved in setting infrastructure roadmaps and product strategy.
- Excelled at building highly-functional, healthy, inclusive and collaborative teams.
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...