Senior Software Engineer, Trust (Account Integrity)
San Francisco, United States
What is Trust at Airbnb
Trust is the fundamental currency of the sharing economy and it’s at the heart of everything we do at Airbnb. Over two million people stay on Airbnb every night and the Trust team at Airbnb keeps our hosts and guests safe and supported throughout the entire Airbnb experience.
As part of the Trust team you will help to keep Airbnb safe by protecting Airbnb and its community from bad actors and malicious behaviors across account takeovers, objectionable contents, fraudulent transactions, safety incidents, hate speeches, and all other kinds of fraud and abuse. You will be deeply involved in building a state-of-the-art fraud and abuse defense system in close collaboration with product, data science and operations teams to understand ever evolving attack vectors and to make Airbnb the world’s most trusting community.
What is Backend Engineering on Trust, Account Integrity
Being part of the Trust organization at Airbnb, the Account Integrity team’s mission is to keep every Airbnb user’s account secure, safe, while easily accessible by authorized account owners. The team focuses on detecting and mitigating all suspicious account activities on the platform including account takeovers, fake accounts, scripted attack, etc.. We adopt a wide variety of technologies including machine learning, deep learning, graph analysis, etc., together with a set of custom built user frictions and mitigation mechanisms to ensure all Airbnb users can confidently use Airbnb, as they know Airbnb keeps their account and data well protected.
As a Backend Engineer on the Trust Account Integrity team, you will be in charge of designing and implementing scalable and robust real-time risk detection, mitigation and remediation systems. As you build end-to-end solutions in the problem space, you’ll get opportunities to work on a vast diversity of technical challenging problems across ML modeling, data analyzing, large scale backend systems, user facing products, etc.. The product you build will serve as the first line of defense for any suspicious account activities on the platform, as well as a critical path for every user’s journey on Airbnb at each account signup and login.
- Build a real-time risk detection and mitigation system to screen and protect every account signup and login event at Airbnb.
- Work together with data scientists to build ML models and heuristic rules to detect suspicious account activities like account takeovers and fake accounts. Explore and apply state-of-the-art modeling techniques like graph modeling, sequence modeling, entity embeddings, to continuously improve model performance.
- Build user frictions and verifications to effectively stop fraudsters while still providing easy account access for good users, like SMS code and email verification, knowledge-based account verification, captcha verification, etc..
- Build end-to-end product solutions to prevent scripted attacks across Airbnb.
- Explore new policies and algorithms like multi-armed bandit to improve the agility and adaptability of the defense system.
- Build robust service and data foundation to empower the entire defense system with proper monitoring and debugging tools.
- 6+ years of industry experience in Software Engineering building robust and scalable backend systems
- Proficient in at least one major object-oriented programming language like Java/Scala/Ruby/Python
- Experience and working knowledge of distributed systems, microservice architecture, data storage, data modeling, and associated trade-offs.
- Rigor in high code quality, automated testing, and other engineering best practices.
- Ability to work and communicate successfully in a cross-functional team with product, data science, design and operation teams to build end-to-end solutions
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, and detail oriented
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Experience in fraud and abuse detection is a huge plus, but not required
- Experience in machine learning, deep learning, natural language processing, pattern recognition, large-scale data mining or artificial intelligence experience is a plus, but not required
- Experience in account and identity management domain is a plus, but not required
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance & disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Candidate Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status