Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack (Trust / Identity)
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. An economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 191 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
What is Trust at Airbnb?
Airbnb is built on trust. Over two million people stay on Airbnb every night and the Trust Engineering team keeps our hosts and guests safe and supported throughout the entire Airbnb experience.
As part of the Trust Engineering team you will be in charge of designing and building scalable and robust systems to detect and mitigate fraud across our entire platform. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of building highly available and real-time risk detection services in close collaboration with product, data science and operations teams to understand ever evolving attack vectors and to keep Airbnb a safe and trusted community.
There are still many unsolved problems to tackle in both online and offline risk, and we're looking for talented engineers to solve these challenges with us.
What is a Full Stack Software Engineer on Trust at Airbnb?
As a Full Stack Engineer on Trust, you help keep Airbnb users safe by working across diverse teams and systems to enable sophisticated fraud prevention strategies. You are eager to understand complex systems top to bottom and thrive working across technologies and codebases. Your contributions take a variety of shapes:
- Creating powerful user experiences to collect and verify user data, while building trust with the user on the brand and community
- Building a long-term technology stack with well defined APIs that is service-oriented, modular, granular, observable, and efficient
- Designing state of the art backend systems to empower real time detection and mitigation of risk, incorporating thousands of signals from across the Airbnb platform
- Authoring and analyzing data pipelines to find new opportunities and metrics
Projects on the Identity team:
- We created a multi-tiered system of user verifications to confirm that a user is who they say they are. The Airbnb bar for verification is one of the highest in industry, since our users meet in the real world, and confirming their identity is the foundation of all trustworthy transactions. For this reason, we are a key Airbnb stakeholder metric.
- Our product flow is highly dynamic, tailoring the information collected from the user based on what we already know about them. We have deep instrumentation to enable analyzing diverse user journeys through our product, and are continuously identifying opportunities to increase conversion through our flows.
- We created a platform to serve our tiered verifications to satisfy several compliance and regulatory use cases like KYC, and GDPR, and our product platform surfaces in 90+% of transactions on Airbnb.
- We build and evolve on a broad system of identity signals that are used for risk evaluation and decision making when suspicious transactions are intercepted by downstream defense systems in Airbnb.
- 5+ years of industry experience on large scale systems
- Passion for delivering products end-to-end, from ideation through planning and scoping to implementation and experimental A/B testing
- Ability to write high performance production quality code
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web applications, such as well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, and efficient algorithms.
- Experience or desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with design, product, data science, and research partners.
- Machine learning, deep learning, natural language processing, computer vision, pattern recognition, large-scale data mining or artificial intelligence experience is a plus, but not a requirement
Candidate Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.