Head of Legal, China
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. An economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 220 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
About Airbnb China
As an independent business unit, China is one of the major engines behind Airbnb's global growth. The company has increased its investment in China and experienced rapid growth since officially entering the market at the end of 2015. Airbnb continues to focus on product localization and innovation to better serve local users and enhance the user experience, nurture a trusting local community, and engage Chinese Millennial travelers with inspiring brand moments. As one of the leaders in the home sharing industry, Airbnb works with partners across many fields to actively promote the sustainable development of this emerging industry and achieve win-win results for everyone. Airbnb will continue to build an efficient local team, bringing the end-to-end, authentic travel experience to Chinese travelers, and creating a world where "anyone can belong anywhere".
As the Head of Legal for Mainland China reporting to the Deputy General Counsel, APAC, you will be the team lead for our fast-growing Mainland China business. You will also be a key member of the China leadership team. You will work very closely with the other members of the APAC Legal team as well as the global Legal team.
- General legal support for various aspects of the Mainland China business, in particular, providing regulatory, compliance and general commercial (including contracts) advice and support across a wide range of areas including business development, marketing, consumer rights, e-commerce, employment, privacy, dispute resolution and industry-specific regulations
- Regulatory engagement with government authorities and law enforcement agencies
- Closely partnering the public policy team in policy work, including policy review and negotiations, partnership formation and strategic investments
- Effectively collaborate with international colleagues, whether in APAC or in the US, to provide globally aligned legal advice that appropriately balances domestic and global perspectives and needs
- Help design, implement and iterate legal department and compliance processes to keep up with hyper-growth, with a particular view towards addressing local concerns
- Driving a culture of compliance through a robust compliance programme, including training, monitoring, investigation and enforcement
- Strong team leader experience and managerial skill set
- Embodying Airbnb’s core values and a culture carrier of these values
- Fluency (reading/writing/speaking) in English, Mandarin and Simplified Chinese is essential
- Qualified in the People’s Republic of China. Qualification in a major common law jurisdiction (e.g. a US jurisdiction, England, Hong Kong, Singapore or Australia) will also be highly advantageous
- Must have prior consumer based internet/technology company experience
- At least 12 years’ post-qualification experience, including at least 5 years’ relevant in-house in an internet company in China. Prior experience working for a MNC in China is also essential
- Demonstrated expertise in internet, consumer protection and privacy laws in Mainland China and industry best practices, especially in navigating highly ambiguous situations
- Exceptional ability to consistently deliver creative, thoughtful and business-oriented results that appropriately balance growth and risk in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment
- Able to travel internationally
- Driven, high integrity, self-starting, humble, adaptable, excellent judgment, sense of humour and love for adventure and fun