Senior Engineering Manager, Machine Learning - Relevance and Personalization
San Francisco, United States
The Relevance and Personalization team at Airbnb, led by VP and Technical Fellow Ronny Kohavi, is responsible for search and personalization across the entire Airbnb digital platform. Be a leader in the team working on critical, impactful projects with focus on search ranking, recommendations, autocomplete, query understanding and Airbnb’s ranking platform. We collaborate closely with teams across Airbnb to customize the guest search experience and support a healthy marketplace for hosts and guests to further Airbnb’s mission of creating a world where people can Belong Anywhere.
We work on all parts of the ML stack from analyzing search usage to running controlled experiments, building models, writing data pipelines, and implementing updates to the online search service.
You will be responsible for developing the team by recruiting and hiring, by investing in team members’ career growth as their coach and advocate, and by fostering team health. You should have a solid background in machine learning / artificial intelligence, ideally with experience in search ranking or personalization.
- Partner with Relevance leadership and cross-functional partners to improve the user search experience through machine learning and personalization models.
- Lead machine learning and software engineering backlog prioritization and define the engineering roadmap to meet project goals.
- Establish processes — project management, collaboration, code quality — to help the team operate efficiently.
- Recruit and hire talented software engineers in collaboration with Airbnb’s recruiting team.
- Invest in team members’ career growth as their coach and advocate.
- Foster team health to create a high-trust and high-performance environment.
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Airbnb's engineering management team.
- 5+ years hands-on technical management experience
- 10+ years of relevant engineering work experience
- Background in Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence
- Experience with A/B testing / controlled experiments, and data/metric-driven product development.
- Proven technical leadership on developing high scalable ML systems in production
- Passion for working with data at scale and empowering organizations through data
- Exceptional architecture abilities and experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale application
- Shipped several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
- Degree in computer science or related field
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Much more...
Candidate Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.