Service Manager, Community Support
San Francisco, United States or
Seattle, United States
In your role as a Service Manager, you will demonstrate specialized experience in either a specific Service or a capability that spans across all services. Services in Community Support are specific areas of focus, such as Community Education, Safety, Claims, Payments, and Social Media. You will work as part of the overall Strategy team in Community Support, owning a Service area end-to-end from initial design to a mature state of continuous improvement. This role may focus initially on executive escalations and loyalty programs, but may pivot to other Service areas.
The ultimate remit of the Service Manager is to ensure that their Service area delivers a great experience for our community in an efficient and effective way that is aligned with the needs of our businesses across people, product and technology. You will set targets for your Service’s performance, and be held accountable to hitting those goals. You will need to take a global approach, but understand regional and market nuances in order to act as a leader and innovator in your area of expertise and advising others on the team.
To achieve this, you should have a strong subject matter expertise of your Service area as well as a solid knowledge of operations and customer experience. You will liaise with Business Engagement Managers and to understand the requests from the business and deliver the support needed in your Service area as well as work closely with the Head of Global Operations, Regional Operations Managers, Product Managers, Design, Research, Content Strategy and external stakeholders to ensure they have the operational foundation in place to deliver on regional service level metrics. Specific core responsibilities include:
- Creating a compelling Service vision: You will be forward-looking and keep on top of industry and internal trends, build an annual vision of your Service area to give clear direction and definition to all stakeholders on what excellent service is in your area, and how it needs to evolve to exceed customers’ expectations. You will also focus on promoting and educating stakeholders on your service area where applicable.
- Building and prioritizing strategic initiatives: You will translate your vision into clear strategic pillars and supporting roadmap and seek buy-in from identified stakeholders.
- Sound operational foundations for your Service area: You will ensure that your Service area has supporting operational foundations in place for Operations to drive effective performance (including Key Performance Indicators, reporting, workflows, tools, shared services support, etc.).
- Leading Service Design: You will be responsible for driving the service design for any new services areas under your remit, as well as consistently reviewing service performance to identify service design improvements. You will work closely in conjunction with cross-functional teams to identify service design initiatives and ensure delivery within agreed time frames.
- Global team resourcing: Partner with our workforce management team to determine resource modeling, both at outsourcing partners and internal employees.
- Balance quality with cost: Design the ideal outcome based on service quality and then optimize the unit economics of the service in partnership with Financial Planning & Analysis.
- Define needs for third party vendors: It's your responsibility to ensure third party vendors understand your Service’s highest priority needs. Airbnb's engineering and IT teams will own relationships with vendors, but you will be a key stakeholder driving definition of requirements and phasing.
- Significant and progressive experience, a minimum of 10 years, navigating complex or matrixed environments.
- Experience managing multiple programs in a fast-paced tech environment
- Service Design experience
- Consultancy experience at a management consulting firm, or equivalent experience in high-stakes problem-solving and critical thinking scenarios.