Senior Full-Stack Software Engineer, Cities
San Francisco, United States
Senior Full-Stack Software Engineer, Cities
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. An economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 191 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
What is the Cities team at Airbnb?
The Cities team focuses on creating support for home-sharing and our community of hosts in the larger ecosystem, with external stakeholders like neighbors, cities, government, and civil rights groups. We do this by partnering with those stakeholders to create win-win solutions that support our community and benefit society at large.
The team is developing a regulatory product platform that allows us to offer product solutions to cities around the world that are based on our policy objectives. Instead of exclusively building custom tools for each city, we have embarked on building an industry-first scalable platform which we use to create jurisdiction-specific solutions efficiently. Our long-term goal is to be able to launch a solution in any city with minimal to no engineering effort.
To accomplish these goals, we work closely with Policy teams around the globe, and Legal, Data Science and Operations colleagues. This invigorating cross-functional partnership is a defining element of software engineering on the Cities team, one that maximizes the impact of the products we build and contributes to Airbnb’s leading position in the home-sharing economy. If you are passionate about using technology to make a positive impact on the world, this is the right team for you!
As a Senior Full-Stack Software Engineer on the Cities team...
As a Senior Full-Stack Engineer on the Cities team, your work will directly contribute to one of the most potent elements of Airbnb’s commitment to operate as a 21st-century company by enabling us to partner with the communities we serve for the betterment of those communities. The software systems you build will implement and enforce home-sharing regulations at scale around the world, and make it easier for our hosts to know about and comply with those regulations.
You’ll work with a team of talented, passionate, mission-driven developers and a diverse set of partners and stakeholders across product, design, data science, policy, operations, and legal disciplines.
Your contributions will take a variety of shapes:
- Building a long-term regulatory platform with well-defined APIs that is service-oriented, modular, granular, observable, configurable, and efficient
- Developing an industry-first portal that enables city officials to directly understand the impact of Airbnb on their communities and manage compliance with local regulations, as applicable
- Creating highly-automated, auditable, access-controlled tools for Airbnb compliance managers to address off-platform compliance issues
- Designing intuitive experiences for hosts that make it simple for them to learn about and comply with their local regulations
- 5+ years of full-time work experience in software engineering, information technology, or a related domain
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, or equivalent experience
- Passion for delivering products end-to-end, from ideation through planning and scoping to implementation and experimental A/B testing
- Proficiency in one or more back-end server languages (Java/Ruby/Go/C++/etc.)
- Expertise in popular storage systems such as relational databases, noSQL and caching
- Ability to write high-performance production-quality code
- Willingness to work across the stack to address technical challenges anywhere in the system
- Experience in designing and building large-scale production systems
- Knowledge of SOA (service-oriented architecture) design patterns
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Bias for action and ability to operate in an ambiguous environment
- Desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with design, product, data science, policy, operations, and legal partners
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more…