Senior iOS Engineer, Messaging
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. As an economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 220 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
About Messaging at Airbnb
The Messaging team is responsible for designing and building the core product and infrastructure which powers Airbnb’s real-time messaging and chat. Messaging is the soul and backbone of Airbnb’s entire product. Messaging enables guests and hosts to organize their check-in. It allows users to immediately speak with customer support. It allows a group of travelers to share their experiences and create life-long memories. Messaging forges personal connections and is the foundation of what it means to be Airbnb.
The Messaging team has full-stack responsibilities which span backend, iOS, Android, web, data science, product, design, and more.
About the Role
We’re looking for a Senior iOS Engineer who is passionate about learning new things and excited to work on a challenging, yet extremely rewarding area of our platform. You will be working with many of the teams at Airbnb in helping them incorporate functionality into the messaging platform. You will get to make decisions on how to architect messaging on iOS and lead by example. You will also improve the overall messaging experience for iOS users.
Your day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with backend and frontend engineers on the Messaging Platform team to build out new features
- Collaborate with partner teams on integrating their projects with Messaging
- Own the third-most visited surface of Airbnb's iOS app
- Collaborate with product managers, UX designers and backend engineers to design and deliver high-quality products on iOS
- Build efficient and reusable mobile components and architect reliable, performant, and scalable mobile solutions
- Follow data-driven approaches to conduct experiments and iterate on features
- Identify areas of improvement and drive mobile best practices
- 5+ years industry experience
- Solid engineering and coding skills. Understanding of basic data structures and asynchronous programming
- Strong communication skills
- Strong writing skills
- Experience shipping one or more Swift or Objective-C iOS apps, ideally currently available in the App Store
- Ability to work in areas outside of your usual comfort zone and show motivation for personal growth
- Interest in innovations within the mobile industry
- Nice to have: demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...