Senior Full-Stack Software Engineer Payments - Gifting
San Francisco, United States
What is Payments at Airbnb?
Airbnb is a trusted marketplace and travel community. This level of trust is critical to the success of AIrbnb and has to extend to each payment experience. Payments enables trust and is a core and strategic part of Airbnb fueling growth with easy to use payment services. We are building a world-class payments platform that moves billions of dollars, in 191 countries, with 75 currencies, through a complex ecosystem of payments partners. We build and maintain our own in-house global payments platform because no solution exists with the global reach needed. As the platform grows we’ll be adding new payment partners, global licenses, and building new payment experiences for our guests and hosts.
Meet the people, learn about the challenges, and read more about what we do at Payments here.
What is a Full Stack Software Engineer on Payments at Airbnb?
As a Fullstack Software Engineer on the Payments team, you’ll play a foundational role as we aim to expand our nascent Gift Cards program into an international program that drives a new revenue stream for Airbnb. Full Stack engineers work closely with world class product managers, designers, and data scientists. We rely and build on modern tooling such as Apollo/GraphQL and React, and deliver a strongly-typed UI using TypeScript. We build libraries and abstractions to make our lives easier such as Design Language System (DLS), our front-end toolkit, which helps ensure our product looks and works great everywhere from a Cinema Display with a fiber connection down to a cheap phone with a shaky 3G connection.
Airbnb is always looking for new ways to improve product performance and developer efficiency. Here are some of our latest efforts to ship great UIs products quickly:
- Building for High Performance: Payments is leading the way at Airbnb, building a modern Frontend with a large portfolio of page load techniques, including service worker, the new "Arrive" framework (server-side rendering of React without loading React on the client), client routing with innovative lazy loading strategies.
On the Gifting Engineering team, our goal is to bring in new guests by expanding the reach and capabilities of our digital gift card program. We’re a full stack team, responsible for both the gift card digital purchase experience as well as the backend systems that power gift card redemption. We see gifting as a big revenue driver for Airbnb, and we’re looking for a senior full stack engineer that can help oversee expansion of this product vertical immediately and over the next several years. This role involves leadership to design and own end-to-end gift card offerings, with opportunities to build and scale payments backend as well as optimize user experiences on the frontend.
Some projects on our upcoming roadmap include:
- Online Experiences Gifting
- Global Expansion
- 5+ yrs experience in all phases of enterprise software design, development and testing
- Experience with designing and building large scale production systems or features.
- Passion for delivering products end-to-end, from ideation through planning and scoping to implementation and experimental A/B testing
- Ability to work in areas outside of your usual comfort zone and show motivation for personal growth.
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web applications, such as well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, and efficient algorithms.
- Experience or desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with design, product, data science, and research partners.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status