iOS Software Engineer, Airbnb.org
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. As an economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 220 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
The Airbnb.org team
Our community of hosts believes that everyone should have a safe place to call home. Inspired by their actions, we established Airbnb.org, a 501(c)(3) separate and independent nonprofit organization, which has helped find safe housing for over 50,000 people to date and responded to hundreds of emergency events around the world. The Airbnb.org team within Airbnb works in support of the Airbnb.org non-profit. We believe everyone has something to share and build tools that enable impactful individual generosity at scale.
The Airbnb.org product team is a cross-functional group focused on creating unique product solutions in support of our efforts to provide housing to people in times of need. We’re responsible for rebuilding the traditional vacation travel marketplace for emergency housing purposes and our wide scope of ownership spans booking, hosting, relief worker travel management, donation tooling, and custom emergency response tooling.
About The Role
We are looking for iOS engineers passionate about social impact to build tools that enable communities around the world to help their displaced neighbors find housing after events such as hurricanes, earthquakes, wildfires, refugee crisis’, or a global pandemic.
We are a small team working in an evolving space, so the engineers must be comfortable in a fluid work environment where responsibilities may change rapidly in response to sudden shifts in world events or government policy.
Your day-to-day responsibilities includes:
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Experience Designers and Backend Engineers on all aspects of product development: strategy, brainstorming, user research, design, execution, and iteration.
- Build efficient and reusable mobile components and architect reliable, performant, and scalable mobile solutions
- Identify areas of improvement and advocate for mobile best practices
Sample projects on the Airbnb.org team:
- Intuitive and frictionless flow for hosts to volunteer their homes
- Donation campaign tooling
- A streamlined booking process built for emergency travel rather than vacation travel
- 4+ years industry experience
- Solid engineering and coding skills. Understanding of basic data structures and asynchronous programming
- Experience shipping one or more Swift or Objective-C iOS apps.
- Ability to work in areas outside of your usual comfort zone and show motivation for personal growth.
- Demonstrable interest in the social impact field.
Nice to Have:
- Experience with Java and Android platform
- Experience with React/Typescript
- Can showcase projects that show an aptitude for technical excellence and product sense.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...