Senior Android Software Engineer, Payments
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. As an economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 220 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
What is Payments at Airbnb?
Airbnb is a trusted marketplace and travel community. This level of trust is critical to the success of AIrbnb and has to extend to each payment experience. Payments enables trust and is a core and strategic part of Airbnb fueling growth with easy to use payment services. We are building a world-class payments platform that moves billions of dollars, in 191 countries, with 75 currencies, through a complex ecosystem of payments partners. We build and maintain our own in-house global payments platform because no solution exists with the global reach needed. As the platform grows we’ll be adding new payment partners, global licenses, and building new payment experiences for our guests and hosts.
Meet the people, learn about the challenges, and read more about what we do at Payments here.
As a Android Engineer on the Payments Mobile team:
You’ll play an impactful role to build mobile-first payment experiences on one of the fastest growing platforms for Airbnb. You will get the unique career opportunity to work across multiple agile product teams and make a significant impact to our guest and host community around the world. You will also get to work with a group of talented and passionate mobile engineers.
Your day-to-day responsibilities includes:
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Designers and Backend Engineers to design and deliver high-quality products on Android
- Build efficient and reusable mobile components and architect reliable, performant, and scalable mobile solutions
- Follow data-driven approaches to conduct experiments and iterate features
- Identify areas of improvement and advocate for mobile best practices
Sample native projects on Payments Mobile team:
- Seamless and innovative payment experience throughout guest shopping journey
- An initiative wallet system to allow guests and hosts to manage their payment methods and access transaction history within Airbnb apps
- Enhance Gift Card experience to support international expansion and holiday campaigns
- Build new server-driven host data collection and verification flow to ensure the integrity of Airbnb platform
- Native foundation modernization through platform compliance upgrade, performance and observability improvement
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Strong knowledge of Java and Android platform
- Experience building Android applications. Understanding best practice in Android including performance optimization, application life cycle, UI layouts and styles, and software architecture pattern (e.g. mvvm)
- Solid engineering and coding skills. Understanding of basic data structures and asynchronous programming
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
- Nice to have: experience with Kotlin, RxJava, Dagger, Espresso, and JUnit
- Nice to have: demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
- Nice to have: experience with Braintree SDK
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...