Senior Software Engineer, Payments
Seattle, United States
Senior Backend Engineer, Payments Compliance & Ops
Job Location: Seattle
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can Belong Anywhere. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Engineering Managers to lead our engineering efforts.
Airbnb Payments team allows any two people in the world to frictionlessly exchange money with easy to use payments services. It is a core strategy to fulfill Airbnb’s belongs anywhere mission. We are building a world-class payments platform that moves billions of dollars, in 191 countries, with 75 currencies, through a complex ecosystem of payments partners. We build and maintain our own in-house global payments platform because no solution exists with the global reach needed. As the platform grows we’ll be adding new payment partners, global licenses, compliance and regulation controls, and building new payment experiences for our guests and hosts.
Payments compliance & ops is a Payments engineering org with the mission to deliver best in class compliance platforms & tools that eliminate legal risks, ensure regulatory compliance and enable payments operations for Airbnb Payments. We are a full stack team focusing on building a wide range of scalable systems and global infrastructure to protect our core payments from malicious users and fraud risk, enforce compliance controls, promote best practices to protect user privacy and enhance our internal operational efficiency. We are looking for a self-motivated backend engineer who is interested in working in a highly dynamic environment by collaborating with cross-functional and cross-site teams. As an engineer, you are in charge of coming up with creative solutions using skills including Service Oriented Architecture, real-time system, data processing pipelines, machine learning, graph algorithms, feature visualization, and payments technologies.
- Build backend services and APIs to create scalable engineering systems
- Work with data scientists, business analysts and operations to define, capture, and use real-time event data for business insights and product features
- Collaborate with infrastructure engineering teams to participate in, validate, and evolve how we build, test, and deploy code in a distributed Service-Oriented Architecture
- Alter existing and develop new data access and protection patterns to ensure our community’s personal data is safe and secure, at scale
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Backend or Full-Stack experience in a work-setting or classroom-setting.
- Work experience, open-source code, or coursework in any of the following languages: Java, C#, Python/Django, Ruby/Ruby on Rails, C/C++ etc.
- Evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Understanding of data structures and problem solving approaches, and ability to articulate trade offs
- Passion for creating highly effective technology platform for our growing global workforce
- Experience with Agile development
- Be future looking; we might be focused on immediate regulations, but need to build for the long term
- Comfortable with tackling ambiguous problems and unblocking yourself
- Focus on building high quality products; every one of our flows affects the business bottom line
- Data driven in how you solve problems and validate you've solved them correctly
- Have a strong desire to mentor the careers and development of other engineers
- Possesses strong verbal and written communication skills.
- BS in Computer Science / MIS or equivalent work-related experience
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Candidate Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.