Staff Software Engineer, Cloud Infrastructure
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can Belong Anywhere. Our community of guests and hosts rely on Airbnb around the clock to provide the tools they need to find a safe place to stay and to facilitate unique experiences.
The Cloud Infrastructure team is responsible for delivering and operating the foundational platforms and cloud environment that power Airbnb. As a software engineer on this team, you'll work on the fundamental infrastructure components that all other teams at Airbnb build upon, such as our compute platform, cloud services, service mesh, and cloud provisioning and networking stack. With users around the world, reliability, scalability, efficiency and high availability are our team’s core concerns.
Airbnb is a member of the Cloud Native Compute Foundation’s end user community and regularly meets with peer companies to discuss cloud native engineering challenges at scale.
What you'll do:
- Build cutting edge cloud native infrastructure on top of the public cloud.
- Deliver frameworks and platforms that are secure, efficient, mature and highly available that abstract away infrastructure complexity.
- Optimize existing systems/services to improve performance and efficiency.
- Systematically improve availability by applying industry and distributed systems best practices.
- Work with other talented and friendly infrastructure engineers to build the foundation for Airbnb’s technical growth over the next decade.
- 8+ years of relevant software development industry experience in a fast paced, high growth tech environment.
- Expertise with a public cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure) and their infrastructure as a service offering (e.g. EC2).
- Familiarity with container and orchestration technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- You are a full-cycle developer: strong ownership and experience building and operating high-scale, distributed systems across the full software life cycle.
- You have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a team and across engineering teams.
- You are a strong problem solver and have solid production debugging skills.
- You are passionate about efficiency, availability, quality and system quality.
What we’ve done:
- Introduced a Kubernetes backed compute platform to the company and led the migration of hundreds of new and existing services to Kubernetes, helping to deprecate Airbnb’s monolith.
- Related talks:
- Built out the first phase of our next generation service mesh using Envoy and Istio to connect all of Airbnb’s services.
- Rolled out auto-scaling across all of Airbnb’s Kubernetes clusters to provide elasticity and improved efficiency.
- Built tooling to allow users to deploy microservices to production with a simple set of commands.
- Shipped a distributed counting service, which is one of the highest throughput services, that powers other applications at Airbnb.
- Delivered a framework for cross-region data backup and recovery.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
Candidate Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.