Senior Lead, US Federal Affairs & International Relations
New York, United States or
Washington DC, United States
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over seven million accommodations and 50,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. An economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetise their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than three quarters of a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 220+ countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
Airbnb’s public policy team exists to further the interests of our community of hosts and guests with politicians, regulators, opinion leaders and others who shape the political and legal context for our business, helping them to understand the significant social and economic contributions of our platform. We engage governments at local, regional and national levels directly and also use innovative advocacy and partnership strategies that actively involve our community and our stakeholders in making the case for fair, progressive home sharing rules.
We organize ourselves in integrated campaign groups, drawing on a wide range of tools and disciplines - from detailed policy and government relations work, through high-impact partnerships, proactive media relations, community organizing, digital platforms and content, polling, and innovative data science and research. We use the combined might of these disciplines to progress our overall policy agenda.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Airbnb and the sharing economy, and have experience with or in government, politics, campaigns or advocacy groups. Our ideal candidate is also a creative and effective strategist; has broad business and people interests and knowledge; can create and execute ideas. S/he should be inclined to boldly take on issues and challenges; to comfortably confront and work through conflict; to communicate messages without hesitation. S/he should be self-aware; responsive to feedback; and, flexible, adaptable and thrive in a dynamic environment. S/he should have the ability to work on various projects simultaneously, requiring strong organizational and time management skills.
S/he should also have demonstrated experience in building trust and credibility with both internal and external stakeholders; a solid understanding of business strategies and priorities with an ability to connect business strategies into relevant policy campaigns. S/he should be a passionate, thoughtful and clear communicator, and be able to articulate policy strategies to the team and internal departmental stakeholders. S/he will also create and maintain an inclusive culture and ways of working for a team, in line with Airbnb’s Core Values, and is committed to embracing diversity and fostering belonging. It is a bonus to have worked in a startup, ecommerce, or other high growth, fast paced company.
This position will report directly to Airbnb’s Director of US & Canada Campaigns. The position can be based in Washington DC or New York.
- Work collaboratively with the US & Canada Campaigns Director, Global Campaign Director, the Senior Vice President and global leadership to develop and implement Airbnb’s US Federal regulatory, legislative and public policy initiatives; including contextualizing global priorities, positions, and strategies.
- Work with Airbnb Policy and Business leadership in EMEA, APAC, LATAM and China and at the nexus of the U.S. Administration Agencies, business and international governments to positively affect policies that impact Airbnb and the tourism industry and promote the values of Airbnb.
- Advocate on key priorities before the US Congress, the Administration, and other federal agencies on corporate issues.
- Manage strategic engagements with national partners including trade associations, industry peers, and policy and political advocacy groups to ensure the success of Airbnb’s overall business, community and mission.
- Committed people leader who invests in the professional growth of team members
- Represent Airbnb in high-level coalitions and organizations to advance Airbnb’s advocacy initiatives.
- Direct research, writing and other activities to provide analysis and critical thinking on policy (and political) developments affecting Airbnb’s priorities.
- Direct, guide and advise Airbnb’s teams on public policy matters to shape development of products, services and policies.
- Ensure that executives and corporate leaders are well informed of regional and jurisdiction specific developments that may impact business operations and brand perception
- Represent Airbnb in high-level meetings with government and elected officials and other stakeholders.
- Ability to push back/pressure test ideas and initiatives as needed.
- Attend and act as a proxy for the Director of US & Canada Campaigns and/or the SVP of Policy and Communications at senior-level meetings.
- Degree or advanced degree level in related field
- Broad policy experience and preferably direct knowledge in one or more of the following fields: Internet, Tourism sector regulations, housing or landlord/tenant law
- Extensive knowledge of the US federal political and regulatory environments
- At least 15 years experience working in politics, government, regulator, or relevant business or non-governmental organization (a mix of public and private sector experience is an advantage)
- First-rate personal, political, analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent leadership and management abilities
- Experience working with national and international teams
- An empathetic leader who cares about people, provides opportunities for people from all backgrounds to succeed and inspires and motivates others
- Ability to create an environment that fosters and promotes diversity and inclusion within the team
- Guided by a personal integrity that reflects Airbnb’s core values and commitment to our stakeholders
- Record of maintaining the highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity
- Makes decisions for the good of the whole organization and fosters a culture of mobility and individual growth
- Ability to quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues
- Excellent communicator, written and verbal, with great interpersonal and presentation skills, both for subject matter experts and the layperson
- Ability to work independently as well as a team player in a multi-task work environment while producing the highest caliber work product in a timely manner
- Self starter with a sense of humor and the ability to thrive in a fast moving and sometimes stressful environment
- First-rate English communication skills - written and oral - in a wide range of formal and informal contexts