Staff Software Engineer, Trust Tools (Backend)
Seattle, United States
What is Trust at Airbnb?
Over two million people stay on Airbnb every night and the Trust Engineering team keeps our hosts and guests safe and supported throughout the entire Airbnb experience.
As part of the Trust Engineering team you will be in charge of designing and building scalable and robust systems to detect and mitigate fraud across our entire platform. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of building highly available and real-time risk detection services in close collaboration with product, data science and operations teams to understand ever evolving attack vectors and to make Airbnb the most safe and trusted community.
There are still many unsolved problems to tackle in both online and offline risk, and we're looking for talented engineers to solve these challenges with us.
What is a Backend Engineer on Trust Tools at Airbnb?
The Trust Tools vision is for Airbnb and its users remain safe from crime, theft, discrimination, and other risks through a combination of high quality automatic defenses and efficient, accurate human review. They do this by creating a tools platform that provides systematic and comprehensive review and decisioning capabilities for humans to augment automated defenses capable of supporting Airbnb’s evolving business and operations team.
As a backend engineer on the Tools team, you will be responsible for helping build and scale the ecosystem for agent-facing tooling for the safety of Airbnb’s users.
Projects on the Trust Tools team:
- Trust Tools is involved in a multi-year effort to revolutionize agent tooling using machine learning.
- Improve and extend the fraud investigation tools used by Airbnb operations. These tools aggregate and display data from across Airbnb’s internal systems, and enable our operations team to make accurate, efficient decisions on potentially fraudulent transactions, fake accounts, and more.
- Create products to deter bad actors off of Airbnb and to restrict their usage.
- Build investigative tooling for surfacing risk and bad actors
- Set and maintain high systems quality, including latency, reliability, and availability.
- 8+ years industry experience
- Experience with Java / Scala is preferred
- Passion for delivering products end-to-end, from ideation through planning and scoping to implementation and experimental A/B testing
- Exposure to architectural patterns of large, high-scale web applications, such as well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, and efficient algorithms.
- Experience or desire to work on machine learning algorithms and end-to-end model development
- Experience or desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with design, product, data science, operations, and research partners.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Candidate Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.