Data Engineering Manager
Seattle, United States
What is the Customer Support Platform team at Airbnb?
The Customer Support Platform team ensures that people using Airbnb are well taken care of when they need help. Our goal is to get people’s problems solved as quickly and satisfactorily as possible, whether via self-solve, or by routing you to the best possible agent and giving that agent the tools to resolve your issue. When something goes wrong, a fast and fair resolution can determine whether you’ll choose to book with Airbnb again. Being efficient here is not only good for customers, it helps to make our business profitable.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
What is a Data Engineering Manager at Airbnb?
Being a Data Engineering Manager at Airbnb allows you to apply a diverse set of skills to help us drive growth and impact across the world. You have a technical background but are also responsible for important data and infrastructure surface areas necessary for the business to move forward. At a high level, that means a high interaction rate with your cross-functional peers (product, design, data science, research, and more) to develop strategy, long-term goals, and execution plans to get there. Day-to-day, you’ll be responsible for making sure the Data Engineering team is delivering while adapting to all the changes that come along as projects go forward. In addition, you’ll be responsible for the career growth of your overall team internally at Airbnb - everything from 1:1’s to career progression plans and whole team career forecasts. You’ll be intimately involved in recruiting and working both with our internal recruiting team, our M&A team, as well as investing in growing your team directly. You’ll make sure the quality of data engineering efforts are always exceptional by setting up the correct processes and quality control checks for the team to execute within. You’ll identify new technologies and skill sets to bring into the team to keep the team moving forward on new challenges.
What is Data Engineering at Airbnb?
We process terabytes of data every day. This data is used to power our Machine Learning systems, business critical metrics and analytics used to power our decision making. We are looking for a talented leader that can help lead the team that will design the next generation data architecture for the data powering the Customer Support business. We are looking for individuals who can bring in rigor and data engineering best practices into building business critical data pipelines.
- Develop a vision for Airbnb Customer Support data and deliver against this vision.
- Build a data engineering team with strong technical and operational capabilities
- Understand the Customer Support business and how it is evolving; translate business needs into data requirements.
- Guide design, development, and ops for business critical pipelines, including our publicly reported metrics.
- Establish processes - project management, code management, data quality - to help the team operate efficiently.
- Transform our Customer Support data architecture to better support massive scale, high performance, and usability.
- Evangelize high quality software engineering practices towards developing data infrastructure and pipelines at scale.
- Manage to SLA metrics for production data sets, including availability and data quality
- Forge strong partnerships with business stakeholders and platform teams.
- 7+ years of relevant data engineering work experience and 4+ hands-on engineering management experience.
- Proven track record in building and leading incredible data engineering teams.
- Passionate about understanding data and its relevance to business decisions.
- Ability to operate in a fast-moving environment supporting a rapidly growing business.
- Experience with developing data architectures to support analytics & ML needs
- Skilled in SQL and at least one scripting language (e.g. Python, Java)
- Experience with modern batch & real-time data processing technologies
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering.
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...