Senior Backend Engineer, Contact Solutions
Seattle, United States
What is Community Support Platform?
The Community Support Platform (CSP) team ensures that our community (guests and hosts) can get help when they need it. For situations where users can solve problems on their own, we try to arm them with all the relevant information and tools. For situations that require assistance from our support agents (“ambassadors”), we try to route them to the right agent for the given problem, and to empower that agent to solve the issue quickly. When something goes wrong, a fast and fair resolution can determine whether you’ll choose to book with Airbnb again. Being efficient here is not only good for customers, it helps to make our business profitable.
What is the Contact Solutions team?
The Contact Solutions team owns the various contact channels/paths our customers use to reach out to Airbnb for support. Today we have two primary paths on web/iOS/Android: our traditional contact flow and our chatbot, both accessible from www.airbnb.com/contact. Separately, we have the phone channel, which is still the dominant way many users prefer to get help.
About the Role
This role focuses on the phone channel, and on the Interactive Voice Response system. Historically this was a simple phone tree, but over the past year we’ve made it far more intelligent, adding speech-to-text, NLP/ML for intent recognition, and offering relevant help. We’ve also started introducing text-to-speech (robot voice), so we can tailor the experience. Going forward, we’re looking at WebRTC, multi-channel interactions, scheduled calls, and other enhancements.
In this role, you’ll be one of 3 engineers who collectively own and drive these capabilities. The goal is to improve the customer’s experience, as well as to reduce cost for the business by handling simple support requests automatically or by streamlining the flow when human support is needed.
The primary service for these voice interactions is written in ruby, but we will likely migrate to Java over the next year as part of a larger overhaul. There are many related services which are primarily written in Java. The development is largely backend/service, though if you can flex and tackle occasional frontend tasks that’s a plus.
- 5+ years of relevant engineering work experience
- Experience working with high-scale web applications.
- Worked successfully with cross-functional partners including Product Managers, Data Scientists, Designers, and Content Writers in setting strategy and executing on it.
- Experience with any of the following is a plus:
- ruby, java, kubernetes, SQL, react, redux.
- Phone/IVR systems
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...