Senior Staff Software Engineer, Marketing Technology
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
About the Marketing Technology Team
Marketing Technology is a platform team with the goal of delivering best-in-class marketing automation tools and systems that are used by our stakeholders in Marketing (Brand and Performance), the Guest Experience and Hosting product development teams, Policy, and more. Our Mission is to enable marketing and product teams to deliver highly personalized and relevant content to the Airbnb community, both on-site and off-site.
The Marketing Technology team spans five pillars: (1) Demand side platform (DSP) that powers programmatic advertising - both search and display, (2) Email marketing platform, (3) Landing page platform, (4) Communications and delivery infrastructure that enables promotional and transactional content delivery at scale across multiple offline channels (e.g. email, push, sms), (5) Machine learning and data pipelines that enable optimizations and personalization.
About The Role
As a senior technical individual contributor, you will bring a unique skill set and experience to our organization, and work to solve some of the broader technical challenges within the Marketing Technology team. You will not only work on both the overall architecture for our platform, systems & tools, but you will also lend expertise to specific teams and deep dive into projects as needed.
Our engineering organization is one where we value everyone’s input and ideas. Although you will be working at a senior level, all individual contributors at Airbnb who are Software Engineers are expected to be hands on, and contribute code.
- Define overall technical architecture for major parts of the Marketing Technology platform at Airbnb.
- Architect large-scale reliable systems to support continuous growth of the business
- Develop innovative strategies, processes and best practices to reduce technical debt, increase observability and reliability, to enable both business continuity and technology transformation of the marketing technology systems and in turn the Guest & Host Experience
- Understand how key technical decisions will drive business outcomes
- Influence the organization, engineering leaders, product managers, Marketing team and the business to develop a unified approach for our Marketing systems and tools like our email service provider, landing page infrastructure, communication infrastructure and digital advertising technologies.
- Maximizing the growth and impact of other senior engineers at Airbnb through mentorship, advice, and leading groups designed to align technical initiatives and decisions
- 10+ years relevant industry experience in a fast paced, high growth tech environment
- Experience building, leading, and architecting large, high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms)
- Proven impact as senior staff engineer or equivalent on a complex technology area spanning several teams
- Bonus: Experience working in a JVM-based Service-Oriented Architecture and a modern frontend stack
- Bonus: Experience leading a technology transformation for business-critical systems
- Bonus: Experience building platforms, specifically marketing tools/technology, campaign management, ad tech