Senior Privacy Counsel EMEA
Dublin, Ireland or
London, United Kingdom
Founded in 2008, Airbnb exists to create a world where anyone can belong anywhere, providing healthy travel that is local, authentic, diverse, inclusive and sustainable. Airbnb uniquely leverages technology to economically empower millions of people around the world to unlock and monetize their spaces, passions and talents to become hospitality entrepreneurs. Airbnb’s accommodation marketplace provides access to 6+ million unique places to stay in nearly 100,000 cities and 191 countries. With Experiences, Airbnb offers unprecedented access to local communities and interests through 30,000+ unique, handcrafted activities run by hosts across 1,000+ markets around the world. Airbnb’s people-to-people platform benefits all its stakeholders, including hosts, guests, employees and the communities in which it operates.
Airbnb is seeking a business-oriented Senior Privacy Counsel with deep experience in GDPR and global privacy laws to join our growing legal team.
Based in Dublin or London you will report to our Associate General Counsel in Dublin. Candidates based in Berlin, Amsterdam or Luxembourg with a proven track record of navigating and advising on the privacy regulatory landscape in Ireland, the UK and Luxembourg will also be considered.
You will play a critical role within our global privacy team, and work across multiple global teams and regions providing support and advice to Airbnb’s business & product teams. You must have excellent judgment in balancing legal risks with business strategy and a proven ability to learn new areas of law and function independently in a demanding fast-paced environment. We’re looking for a highly adaptable and collaborative person who can handle ambiguity and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility, patience, and poise.
- Provide focused and pragmatic advice on the implementation and impact of global privacy laws to business and product teams and our Chief Privacy Officer’s team.
- Support our security incident response team in the evaluation of, and response to, potential data breaches including the management of regulator and user reports/ notifications as needed.
- Drive compliance strategies for GDPR, U.S. and international data privacy and personal information collection rules, regulations and standards.
- Monitor, respond to and proactively engage with industry associations, law makers and regulators on developments in data protection and information security in the EEA and UK.
- Provide leadership and support on a wide variety of privacy issues as needed such as DPIAs, international data transfers, marketing-related privacy issues such as consent requirements and cookie compliance, strategic engagement with EU data regulators, etc
- Fluency in English is essential. Additional languages a significant advantage
- Qualified as a lawyer in at least one EU jurisdiction, preferably with IAPP/other privacy certification
- At least 8 years’ post-qualification experience, with significant relevant privacy/data protection law experience at a law firm, in-house or in a Data Protection Authority. Ideally, you would also have relevant in-house experience in a multinational, preferably in the tech / digital space.
- Substantive knowledge and demonstrated expertise in global data protection law, in particular relevant laws in the EU and, ideally, the US
- A strong working knowledge of the Airbnb platform, evolving product lines, and competitive landscape.
- Ideally, management experience, including experience in managing remotely.
The successful candidate should also have:
- Ability to understand technology-driven businesses, communicate concisely, and influence effectively across a wide audience including regulators, Airbnb leadership, engineering and product teams, and members of the legal team
- Strong negotiation and “ambassadorial” skills, which you will put to work both internally to foster a strong data protection culture throughout the organisation and externally in the area of data privacy to maintain and enhance users’ trust in Airbnb
- Exceptional ability to consistently deliver creative, thoughtful and business-oriented results that appropriately balance growth and risk in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment
- Flexibility and willingness to work with all levels of the organization, and to roll up your sleeves to get the job done
- Intellectually curious, open-minded, adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity and risk, and excited by dynamic change and solving problems
- Experience creating and managing compliance processes
- Ability to work both collaboratively and autonomously while prioritizing competing tasks in a fast-paced, challenging environment
- International travel will be required in due course
- High level of integrity, professionalism, intellectual curiosity, sense of humor, and willingness to grow.