Engineering Manager, Trust Platform
San Francisco, United States
What is the Trust team at Airbnb?
Over two million people stay on Airbnb every night and the Trust Engineering team keeps our hosts and guests safe and supported throughout the entire Airbnb experience.
As part of the Trust Engineering team you will be in charge of designing and building scalable and robust systems to detect and mitigate fraud across our entire platform. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of building highly available and real-time risk detection services in close collaboration with product, data science and operations teams to understand ever evolving attack vectors and to make Airbnb the most safe and trusted community. There are still many unsolved problems to tackle in both online and offline risk, and we're looking for talented engineering managers to solve these challenges with us.
What does being an Engineering Manager at Airbnb look like?
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead a backend team responsible for powering the detection and mitigation of fraud at scale across Airbnb. The team is responsible for all Trust foundational systems, such as the rules engine, friction framework, and the vendor API gateway, and supports one of the highest throughput systems across the company. The team’s vision is to provide a central rule and policy engine to power all fraud detection, mitigation, and policy enforcement at Airbnb. The team works closely with the Trust defense teams to tackle the changing landscape of fraud attacks, and build platform features to enable Trust product teams to quickly build frictions, rules, and enforcement tools for agents.
As the engineering manager on this team, you will play a key role in shaping the future of the engine that will be used to enforce all policies across Airbnb. You will get to work with cross functional stakeholders across Payments, Support Products, and the Hosting teams to support all operational workflows through our rule and policy engine. You will also play a strategic role in building user facing tools to enable non-engineers to quickly deploy defenses and operationalize policies, while investing in analytics and data tools to improve the efficacy of our rules and policies. You also will have the opportunity to lead the team to design, build, and maintain highly scalable and reliable systems, while also defining the experience for the 100+ developers using our platform by investing in developer tooling. You will have the opportunity to work with a team of product managers, data scientists, and engineers to strategically define the roadmap, build long term vision to support the changing business needs. You will also collaborate closely with cross functional partners across Trust, Payments, and Support Products to ensure that all fraud trends and compliance requirements are addressed.
We value Engineering Managers who have:
- 7+ years of full stack engineering experience and 2+ years of hands-on technical management experience
- Familiar with latest backend technologies, such as Java. Familiarity with Scala is a plus.
- Experience with platform architecture patterns and best practices. Experience with building and leading infrastructure is a plus.
- Experience with the Trust and Risk domain is a plus.
- Retained, mentored and hired senior engineers and leaders with a track record of building productive, world-class engineering teams.
- Effectively worked with senior leadership in setting strategic 6+ month direction.
- Experience with effectively creating alignments with multiple teams and operating well in ambiguity
- Track record in partnering with recruiting to build incredible engineering teams
- Actively coached and mentored team members in their careers
- Been actively involved in setting product strategy
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering
- Shipped several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Location - San Francisco CA, Seattle WA