Structural Engineer Samara
San Francisco, United States
Samara is a product development team at Airbnb. We build products and services that extend Airbnb beyond travel into everyday life. Our aspiration is to create revolutionary experiences that enable new ways of living through Airbnb.
Samara is looking for an experienced Structural Engineer based in the San Francisco Bay area. This is a hands-on role where you will optimize structural design and product functionality by evaluating differing qualities, materials, strengths, and requirements.
This an opportunity to get on the ground floor of a new organization, and help establish the technical direction of the team, and shape the engineering culture and its standards of excellence. You will be hands-on in and oversee research, the design of prototypes units, completing analysis and utilizing findings, data, and recommendations to evaluate and suggest structural improvements or alternatives.
You will work collaboratively across industrial and architectural design, manufacturing, and product teams, communicating engineering goals and ensuring alignment with broader team goals.
The role comes with ample opportunity to engage with leadership at all levels of the organization. You will translate high-level requests and communication into actionable structural direction, work with key stakeholders to ensure agreement on the proposed solution and generate the necessary documentation to facilitate implementation.
We are seeking a candidate with strong structural engineering skills who can provide guidance and empower the technical teams and influence major engineering decisions. This is a cross-functional role and we are looking for a team player who loves collaboration and never shies away from a problem.
Once here you will
- Drive and document research, design prototypes, and analyses utilizing findings, data, and recommendations to evaluate and suggest structural improvements or alternatives
- Optimize structural design and product functionality by evaluating differing qualities, materials, strengths, and requirements
- Work collaboratively across industrial and architectural design, manufacturing, and product teams, communicating engineering goals and ensuring alignment with broader team goals
- Provide construction administration services for builds
- Develop structural designs from concept through completion of construction.
- Prepare engineering design calculations and structural system layouts.
- Prepare detailed engineering reports and narratives.
- Coordinate structural design requirements with architecture, structure and other disciplines. Produce construction documents using Revit.
- Write and review specifications.
- Review shop drawings, RFIs and submittals.
- Conduct site visits when needed.
- Licensed California Professional Engineer
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Direct experience designing light gage steel buildings
- Proficiency in structural analysis using FrameCAD software
- Experience with BIM including Autodesk Revit workflow
- Experience using RISA 3D for structural analysis
- Finite element analysis
- Experience designing prefabricated modular structures
- Understanding of how building departments and city governments work
- Understanding of permit submittal process