Senior Software Engineer Trust, Frontend
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. An economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 191 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
What is Trust at Airbnb?
Airbnb is built on trust. Over two million people stay in Airbnb’s every night, and the Trust Engineering team keeps our Hosts and Guests safe and supported throughout the entire Airbnb experience. We’re creating new relationships and placing people in vulnerable situations; therefore trust is one of the fundamental “currencies” of Airbnb.
The Trust team builds trust by creating safety at every stage of a user’s stay or Experience. We consistently work toward eliminating online fraud (such as chargebacks, compromised accounts, spam and scam in messages, fake inventory, etc.) as well as offline fraud (theft, property damage, personal safety, etc.). We work on onboarding and making accounts secure, and think about complex topics like identity and reputation to ensure that every interaction with Airbnb helps build trust in our communities. Trust Engineering is responsible for the technology, vision, and development of a complex stack that runs on every key interaction on the platform.
About the Membership Team on Trust
Membership Engineering is a team within the Trust organization that focuses on building solutions to help onboard and authenticate users onto the Airbnb platform while also making sure our existing community of Guests and Hosts remain safe on the platform. We constantly work on adding innovative and secure ways for users to onboard and easily authenticate like MFA, Passwordless methods, and Web Authentication, while seamlessly transitioning existing users to these new methods. The products the Membership team creates has a huge impact on the experience of every user on Airbnb.
What is a Software Engineer on the Membership team?
As an engineer on the Membership team, you help provide a seamless signup/login experience for Airbnb users in order to ensure accounts are growing in a secure way. You’re eager to understand complex systems and you thrive working across technologies and codebases. Your contributions take a variety of shapes:
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Product Managers, Designers, and Backend Engineers to design and deliver high-quality products on web
- Build efficient and reusable web components and architect reliable, performant, and scalable solutions
- Follow data-driven approaches to conduct experiments and iterate features
- Identify areas of improvement and advocate for web best practices
Sample Projects on Trust Membership:
- Improve the experience of the signup and login flow, such as redesigns of the Signup/Login page, which integrate new authentication methods and promote the usage of more secure passwordless authentication methods.
- Work on a company wide initiative across teams to incorporate signup during the booking checkout flow to reduce the number of steps new users need for booking.
- Create products to deter and defend against account fraud with more secure yet seamless ways of onboarding and authentication. For example, using biometrics, Web Authentication, and passwordless methods with one-time code login. Our work has a major impact in increasing signup/login success rates, revenue, and reducing account takeovers.
- Improve the experience of account management, such as end-to-end API redesigns of the account settings page and reset password flow, as well as the user education process during onboarding.
- 5+ years industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Fluency in HTML, CSS, and related web technologies
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
- Personal projects that show an aptitude for technical excellence or product sense
- Advanced analytical thinking; experienced with making product decisions based on data and A/B testing
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more…
Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly! Contact us to find out which office works best for you.
Candidate Privacy Notice: If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.