Staff Technical Program Manager, Hardware
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. As an economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 220 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
Samara is a product development team at Airbnb. We build products and services that extend Airbnb beyond travel into everyday life. Our aspiration is to create revolutionary experiences that enable new ways of living through Airbnb.
About The Role
This is a senior, technical leadership role with an opportunity to get on the ground floor and help establish the program management culture and standards of excellence. As a member of the Hardware Engineering team, you will be responsible for managing the end-to-end execution of hardware engineering programs. You will lead these multidisciplinary programs through the product development process to develop consumer electronics devices aimed at serving Airbnb’s hosts and guests.
You will work with engineers and suppliers to define timelines for deliverables, identify and escalate awareness of risks to develop mitigation plans, support budget planning activities, and clearly communicate progress to the executive team.
We are seeking a TPM with strong engineering skills who can empower the technical teams and influence major engineering decisions. This is a cross-functional role and we are looking for team players who love collaboration and never shy away from a problem. We need a TPM who seeks out risks and mitigates them, who is an expert communicator to both technical and non-technical partners, and has excellent organization.
- Coordinate and manage internal and external design activities for a given program. This would include creating a full execution plan, delivering the scope, communicating status, and mitigating risks and working with the team and external partners to resolve issues.
- Establish standard reports to provide concise and effective communications to key stakeholders on program status, issues and risks, the critical path, accomplishments, and present to the executive team.
- Establish a phase gate process for the team to follow
- Prepare and track a department budget forecast and reconcile with expenses.
- Lead the documentation of specifications, design options, design documents, test plans, product requirements, product certification planning, and product reliability requirements.
- Lead communication around supplier selection with the Supply Chain team to converge on best technical and commercial solutions.
- Coordinate and work in tight conjunction with contract engineering partners, contract manufacturing partners, Product Design Engineers, System Engineers, Product Managers, Supply Chain, Operations Program Management, and Industrial Designers to deliver products successfully.
- Lead change management process in coordination with all stakeholders.
- Set up regular team meetings and external partner meetings to drive programs, coordinate activities, and ensure successful outcomes.
- Coordinate and communicate with external contract manufacturing partners in different global locales, and work around language and culture barriers to establish good working relationships.
- Travel in the Contiguous US and globally as needed to support product launches.
- 7+ years of experience in Consumer Electronics with a track record of delivering hardware devices to the market.
- Experience working with global contract manufacturers.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or physics
- Deep experience with consumer electronics, hardware product development, manufacturing processes,
- 5+ years of program management experience in consumer electronics
- Impeccable organization, clear communication, and high attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and with minimal guidance to execute on agreed upon project deliverables.
Candidate Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status