Staff Software Engineer, Payments Compliance
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can Belong Anywhere. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Engineering Managers to lead our engineering efforts.
Airbnb Payments team allows any two people in the world to frictionlessly exchange money with easy to use payments services. It is a core strategy to fulfill Airbnb’s belongs anywhere mission. We are building a world-class payments platform that moves billions of dollars, in 191 countries, with 75 currencies, through a complex ecosystem of payments partners. We build and maintain our own in-house global payments platform because no solution exists with the global reach needed. As the platform grows we’ll be adding new payment partners, global licenses, compliance and regulation controls, and building new payment experiences for our guests and hosts.
Payments compliance & ops is a Payments engineering org with the mission to deliver best in class compliance platforms & tools that eliminate legal risks, ensure regulatory compliance and enable payments operations for Airbnb Payments. We are a full stack team focusing on building a wide range of scalable systems and global infrastructure to protect our core payments from malicious users and fraud risk, enforce compliance controls, promote best practices to protect user privacy and enhance our internal operational efficiency. We are looking for a self-motivated backend engineer who is interested in working in a highly dynamic environment by collaborating with cross-functional and cross-site teams. As an engineer, you are in charge of coming up with creative solutions using skills including Service Oriented Architecture, real-time system, data
processing pipelines, machine learning, graph algorithms, feature visualization, and payments technologies.
● Build backend services and APIs to create scalable engineering systems
● Work with data scientists, business analysts and operations to define, capture, and use
real-time event data for business insights and product features
● Collaborate with infrastructure engineering teams to participate in, validate, and evolve
how we build, test, and deploy code in a distributed Service-Oriented Architecture
● Alter existing and develop new data access and protection patterns to ensure our
community’s personal data is safe and secure, at scale
What you need to succeed
● 8+ years of industry experience
● Backend or Full-Stack experience in a work-setting or classroom-setting.
● Work experience, open-source code, or coursework in any of the following languages:
C/C++, Java, C#, Python/Django, Ruby/Ruby on Rails
● Evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web application (e.g.,
well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
● Understanding of data structures and problem solving approaches, and ability to
articulate trade offs
● Passion for creating highly effective technology platform for our growing global workforce
● Experience with Agile development
● Be future looking; we might be focused on immediate regulations, but need to build for
the long term
● Comfortable with tackling ambiguous problems and unblocking yourself
● Focus on building high quality products; every one of our flows affects the business
● Data driven in how you solve problems and validate you've solved them correctly
● Have a strong desire to mentor the careers and development of other engineers
● Possesses strong verbal and written communication skills.
● BS in Computer Science / MIS or equivalent work-related experience