Senior iOS Software Engineer, Hosting
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. As an economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 220 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
About Hosting at Airbnb
When Airbnb first started, we introduced the world to Hosting. Hosting is Airbnb’s core business and we work on everything from driving improvements to the Host experience to launching new product verticals from the ground up. The Hosting team aims to inspire and empower people around the world to live richer lives by Hosting on Airbnb. Hosting means many things here at Airbnb. We support Hosts who offer individual Homes, Experiences, multiple Homes, and Hotels on the platform. Within engineering, Hosting is critical to driving and maintaining our Airbnb Community, with our work significantly impacting a wide range of products and users. If you are energized by having your work gain high visibility to millions of users and drive impact for the company's bottom line, Hosting is a great place to launch and amplify your Airbnb career.
About the Role
We are looking for iOS engineers to help us build a delightful experience in every stage of the guest journey. You will get the unique career opportunity to work across multiple agile product teams and make a significant impact on our guest community around the world.
Your day-to-day responsibilities includes:
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners such as Product Managers, Experience Designers and Engineers to design and deliver high-quality products on iOS
- Build efficient and reusable mobile components and architect reliable, performant, and scalable mobile solutions
- Follow data-driven approaches to conduct experiments and iterate features
- Identify areas of improvement and drive mobile best practices
Sample projects on Hosting:
- Pro Merchandising
- You’ll be owning, planning and driving the future for high-traffic surface areas professional hosts use to manage their listings and improve their success on Airbnb’s mobile apps – anything from onboarding to bulk edit of many listings.
- Professional hosts are characterized by larger amounts of listings so you’ll be finding the best balance between scalability and ease of use.
- The Pro Merchandising embraces first principles thinking to re-design existing systems and conventions across Airbnb.
- Host Tools
- Empower the Hosting teams to help anyone host any place to stay, and provide a platform of frameworks, tools, and shared applications
- Enable shared server-driven front-end platforms for rapid adoption of new mobile hosting features
- Creating dashboards that are a welcome space to celebrate hosting and that surface the most important things that hosts need to do now, such as booking requests, to-dos, new and relevant information, and supporting the end to end guest journey
- Marketplace Dynamics:
- Develop pricing and availability management tools such as host calendar and promotion center, that many hosts use on a daily basis on mobile to help them achieve hosting goals on Airbnb.
- Iterate pricing displays throughout the guest booking journey to make pricing rules transparent and Airbnb pricing competitive.
- Create innovative user experiences to help host and guest resolve conflicts when either party needs to modify or cancel a booking; You will be developing frictionless self-solve products to help build trust with guests and hosts during difficult times and also reducing customer support contacts and costs.
- 5+ years industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Experience shipping one or more Swift or Objective-C iOS apps, ideally currently available in the App Store
- Personal projects that show an aptitude for technical excellence and product sense
- Ability to work in areas outside of your usual comfort zone and show motivation for personal growth
- Solid engineering and coding skills. Understanding of basic data structures and asynchronous programming
- Interest in innovations within the mobile industry
- Nice to have: demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...