Senior iOS Software Engineer, Guest Platform Native
San Francisco, United States
About Guest Experience at Airbnb
The Guest Experience team is responsible for the end-to-end guest journey on Airbnb. We build product experiences such as the online reservation flow from search to book and we lead strategic initiatives that unlock new audiences and drive increased loyalty. We are building the storefront to community-powered travel while making it fun to plan, and easy to book on Airbnb.
About the Guest Platform Team within Guest Experience
The Guest Platform Team is responsible for accelerating and simplifying the engineering tasks of building products (web and Mobile native) for the end-to-end guest journey on Airbnb. By developing and constantly refining the Guest Platform, a cross-platform Server Driven UI framework built on GraphQL, the team supports product engineers, who can then focus exclusively on the guest experience, rather than having to deal with the complexity of behind the scenes services and infrastructure.
About the Role
The Guest Platform team is comprised of engineers that have collective expertise of backend, frontend, and mobile native engineering. This role is dedicated to the mobile native subteam and will drive the platformization and performance efforts for iOS. It involves collaborating with all other native, frontend and backend team members to define and shape the future of airbnb Guest Platform, building reusable platform components that serve 10+ teams.
The engineer will also be driving iOS app wise quality goals, including improving core pages loading and rendering performance, optimizing on UI drawing and data caching, reducing app startup time, app size and error rate, for a more lean and performant app.
This is not considered an infrastructure position: the team’s ultimate goal is to enable a better (more intuitive, faster, beautiful) guest facing product built by productive engineers, not an increase in service reliability or other pure infrastructure gains.
The projects that the team builds enable Airbnb to scale safer and faster, so that product teams can leverage the platform solution to build on top, isolate the complexity below, empower each other with shared section components, and get building blocks for free. Each building block remains robust so that it is hard to break, and remains flexible to be ready to extend.
The platformization engineers are the essential link between Airbnb's Product and Infrastructure/Foundation teams, with a focus on development velocity and collaboration. Of course, we work closely with world class product managers, designers, and data scientists. But even more often, we work closely with other engineers from product teams, by understanding their productivity pain points and how to resolve them in a scalable, simple and flexible way. Along the way, there will be multiple opportunities for mentorship (give and receive), as well as an expectation to influence the directions of the overall iOS architecture and frameworks at Airbnb.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years industry experience
- Experience shipping one or more Swift or Objective-C iOS apps, ideally currently available in the App Store
- Deep expertise in Mobile native platformization and Mobile app performance
- Passionate about driving app performance and fundamental app quality initiatives.
- Experience with improving architecture (strategic level) and libraries (tactical level) of a high traffic app
- Deep experience of understanding and solving engineering productivity pain points
- Personal projects that show an aptitude for technical excellence and product sense
- Ability to work in areas outside of your usual comfort zone and show motivation for personal growth
- Solid engineering and coding skills. Demonstrated knowledge of data structures and asynchronous programming
- Interest in innovations within the mobile industry
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...