Associate General Counsel, Chief Ethics Officer
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where people can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team that is committed to our core values to achieve this goal.
Airbnb’s Legal team embodies the company’s innovative, forward-thinking spirit. At the frontier of the new sharing economy, Airbnb is breaking new ground in matters of policy, law, and government relations. Where some see obstacles, we see the opportunity to find creative, practical solutions, right at the cutting edge. Our adventurous, fast-moving legal team is committed to building a team of talented, collaborative and self-motivated legal professionals across the globe who believe in Airbnb’s mission and leading as a 21st century company.
We are looking for an experienced, highly motivated attorney to join us as Associate General Counsel, Chief Ethics Officer to lead our team responsible for counseling on ethics issues across the company. The position will report to the Company’s Chief Legal Officer.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of our leadership team and work on novel issues in an exciting, fast-paced environment. This job is for you if you enjoy ambiguity, love working on complex legal and social issues, and believe that a company can change the world by encouraging immersive travel and experiences. You work well with business partners as well as lawyers, have an upbeat positive attitude even in the face of crisis, are collaborative, thrive on building relationships and working with others, and shy away from drama.
- Active and strategic management of a diverse range of global ethics issues including updating and enforcing the code of ethics and other legal policies; conducting training programs; managing whistleblower hotline and certain investigations and participating as a member of the Company’s enterprise risk committee.
- Leadership of an ethics legal team.
- Trusted partnership across other enterprise risk owners and internal audit to facilitate risk mitigation, management and reporting.
- Hands-on analysis and advice with respect to ethics issues.
- Cross-functional collaboration with internal teams and outside counsel to successfully, efficiently, and cost effectively resolve investigations and ethics risk issues.
- Creation and delivery of training related to ethics and compliance legal matters.
- Active championship of Airbnb’s mission, ethics and integrity.
- Support of Airbnb’s commitment to building and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace, free of discrimination and harassment.
Required Background, Knowledge, Skills
- J.D. with strong academic credentials and demonstrated record of success as a lawyer
- Member of California Bar or eligible to register as Registered In-House Counsel
- Minimum 15 years of significant legal experience, ideally with experience in ethics, compliance or investigations
- Highly proactive self-starter who consistently delivers as a leader, individual contributor, and team member
- Demonstrated record of entrepreneurial, quick-thinking, pragmatic, business-oriented advice with honed ability to craft solutions to legal challenges in novel ways that properly balance both risk and business reward
- Highly motivated, efficient, and organized with proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment employing flexibility and creativity
- Heightened collaboration skills, including across organizational and cultural boundaries
- Strong experience managing both internal and external teams
- Superior analytical and writing skills, including the ability to distill complex legal issues efficiently and effectively for a business audience
- Outstanding communication skills with capacity to advocate for a position while maintaining collaborative and open-minded approach
- Passion for travel, home sharing and deep appreciation for Airbnb community
- Good sense of humor, disdain for drama, and desire to get things done
Airbnb is committed to working with the best and brightest people from the broadest talent pool possible. We believe a diversity of ideas fosters innovation and engagement, and allows us to attract the best people, and develop the best products, services and solutions. Qualified individuals from all walks of life are encouraged to apply.