Staff Software Engineer, Host Quality (Reviews & Standards)
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. As an economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 220 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
About Homes and Host Quality at Airbnb
Homes is Airbnb’s core business and we work on everything from driving improvements to the Guest and Host experience to launching new initiatives from the ground up.
Having high quality homes and hosts is what sets Airbnb apart. The Host Quality team partners with hosts to ensure guest stays meet and exceed expectations. We are responsible for collecting feedback and creating useful and actionable information for hosts. The team is challenged to balance an easy and seamless host experience while maintaining a high amount of integrity.
About the Role
We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to help us build the world class infrastructure that powers the Host Quality program. In addition to collaborating closely with other engineers and product leads, you will be working in a space that spans functional areas including data, policy, operations, and legal. Development responsibilities include leading planning and delivery of product initiatives as well as foundational systems and frameworks to facilitate those initiatives.
- Build dynamic, customized and intuitive review flows to collect comprehensive and high-signal data about listings on our platform
- Make data collected in the review flow, including complex queries and rich aggregations, easily available across Airbnb surfaces including listing merchandising
- Translate intricate hosting policies spanning minor to severe issues into a unified enforcement system that handles logic to resolve policy conflicts and updates, with clean integration across surfaces from pre-enforcement warnings and status dashboards to post-enforcement appeals and UX
- 8+ years of industry experience on large scale systems
- Proficiency in one or more backend server languages (Java/Ruby/Go/C++/etc.)
- Experience designing, building, and iterating on performant and robust distributed systems with operational practices to ensure high reliability
- A track record of leading engineering project teams and working with cross functional partners to deliver technical solutions that achieve team and organizational goals
- Substantial experience with building real-time streaming data pipelines a plus
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...