Software Engineer, Anti-Discrimination
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. An economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 191 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
What is Anti-Discrimination at Airbnb?
As part of the Anti-Discrimination team, you will be a part of a groundbreaking group of technologists designing and building scalable and robust systems to detect and support the mitigation of inequities across the entire platform. Those inequities are discrepancies in the product experience that may be correlated with race or other demographic attributes, and are the result of explicit or implicit discrimination on an individual level (e.g., between hosts and guests), as well as broader, systemic inequities.
You will be deeply involved in the technical details of expanding on the work we started with Project Lighthouse, in close collaboration with product, data science and operations teams. Your work will help ensure that every product team at the company is empowered with the insights necessary to address inequities within their features and surface areas, head-on -- ultimately enabling us to build a product that fosters true belonging amongst members of the Airbnb community.
The work of making our platform one that is more just and equitable is challenging, but critical. We’re looking for talented engineers who are ready and excited to take on this important and unsolved problem.
What is a Software Engineer on Anti-Discrimination at Airbnb?
As a Software Engineer on Anti-Discrimination, you will work across diverse teams and systems to enable a thoughtful and sophisticated approach to tackling one of the most important issues of our time. You are eager to understand complex systems top to bottom, and thrive working across technologies and codebases. Your contributions take a variety of shapes:
- Building and maintaining a long-term technology stack with well defined APIs that is service-oriented, modular, granular, observable, and efficient.
- Working with a range of stakeholders closely to improve our technology, including external civil rights and privacy organizations and academics.
- Executing projects with great complexity and a longer time horizon than is typical on most product teams. Our projects can take 6-24 months to complete, and as a result require a sustained level of commitment and attention, as well as thorough, thoughtful, and rigorous documentation.
- Embracing leadership opportunities. The success of this work, long-term, is predicated on helping all product teams at Airbnb to interact with the products we build and the services we provide. You’ll contribute to this success by helping to identify and build allies outside of the team.
- Mentoring and sponsoring the work of other engineers on the team. The team’s focus on equity in the product extends to our expectations for how we work with one another and support each other within the team.
Projects on the Anti-Discrimination team:
- Creating tools to help us identify and measure inequities and their drivers across the platform. We’ve built one of these already as part of Project Lighthouse. In the short term, we’ll be continuing to make improvements to maximize its effectiveness. In the future, we will be expanding our toolkit to include a variety of measurement use cases, protected classes, and locales. These tools can vary in precision, but will all be built with the same privacy guardrails - created in collaboration with our Executive team, civil rights organizations, privacy groups, and academics - that governed our initial work.
- Maintaining and optimizing the services we own, which support Airbnb’s commitment to upholding our nondiscrimination policy within the product experience itself.
- 5+ years of industry experience on large scale systems
- Passion for delivering products end-to-end, from ideation through planning and scoping to implementation and experimental A/B testing
- Ability to write high performance production quality code
- Exposure to architectural patterns of large, high-scale web applications, such as well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, and efficient algorithms.
- Experience or desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with design, product, data science, and research partners.
- A recognition of the problem we’re trying to solve, and curiosity about it. You recognize that issues of bias, discrimination, and systemic inequities are real, measurable problems, and are eager to learn more about them.
- Background of working on or participating in diversity & inclusion initiatives.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- 401K matching
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Commuter Subsidies
- Last-mile monthly stipend (when offices are open again)
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Wellness benefits (Headspace subscription, mental health days, counseling sessions, wellness reimbursement, and more)
- Much more..
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status