Software Engineer, Payments Compliance
About Airbnb: Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a
trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique travel experiences
around the world. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week or a villa for a month,
Airbnb allows people to Belong Anywhere through unique travel experiences at any price point,
in more than 85,000 cities and over 191 countries. We promote a culture of curiosity, humanity,
and creativity through our product, brand, and, most importantly, our people.
Airbnb Payments team allows any two people in the world to frictionlessly exchange money with
easy to use payments services. It is a core strategy to fulfill Airbnb’s belongs anywhere mission.
We are building a world-class payments platform that moves billions of dollars, in 191 countries,
with 75 currencies, through a complex ecosystem of payments partners. We build and maintain
our own in-house global payments platform because no solution exists with the global reach
needed. As the platform grows we’ll be adding new payment partners, global licenses,
compliance and regulation controls, and building new payment experiences for our guests and
Payments compliance & ops is a Payments engineering org with the mission to deliver best in
class compliance platforms & tools that eliminate legal risks, ensure regulatory compliance and
enable payments operations for Airbnb Payments. We are a full stack team focusing on building a
wide range of scalable systems and global infrastructure to protect our core payments from
malicious users and fraud risk, enforce compliance controls, promote best practices to protect
user privacy and enhance our internal operational efficiency. We are looking for a self-motivated
backend engineer who is interested in working in a highly dynamic environment by collaborating
with cross-functional and cross-site teams. As an engineer, you are in charge of coming up with creative solutions using skills including Service Oriented Architecture, real-time system, data processing pipelines, machine learning, graph algorithms, feature visualisation, and payments technologies.
What you’ll do
● Build backend services and APIs drive existing and new features for web apps
● Work with data scientists, business analysts and operations to define, capture, and use
real-time event data for business insights and product features
● Collaborate with infrastructure engineering teams to participate in, validate, and evolve
how we build, test, and deploy code in a distributed Service-Oriented Architecture
● Alter existing and develop new data access and protection patterns to ensure our
community’s personal data is safe and secure, at scale
● Partner with Design to Innovate, prototype, and lead new initiatives to improve our user
What you need to succeed
● 2+ years of industry experience
● Backend or Full-Stack experience in a work-setting or classroom-setting.
● Work experience, open-source code, or coursework in any of the following languages: C/C++,
Java, C#, Python/Django, Ruby/Ruby on Rails
● Evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web application (e.g.,
well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
● Understanding of data structures and problem solving approaches, and ability to articulate trade
● Passion for creating highly effective technology platform for our growing global workforce
● Experience with Agile development
● Be future looking; we might be focused on immediate regulations, but need to build for the long
● Comfortable with tackling ambiguous problems and unblocking yourself
● Focus on building high quality products; every one of our flows affects the business bottom line
● Data driven in how you solve problems and validate you've solved them correctly
● Possesses strong verbal and written communication skills.
● BS in Computer Science / MIS or equivalent work-related experience