Market Manager (Contract)
Founded in 2008, Airbnb exists to create a world where anyone can belong anywhere, providing healthy travel that is local, authentic, diverse, inclusive and sustainable. Airbnb uniquely leverages technology to economically empower millions of people around the world to unlock and monetize their spaces, passions and talents to become hospitality entrepreneurs. Airbnb’s accommodation marketplace provides access to 6+ million unique places to stay in nearly 100,000 cities and 191 countries. With Experiences, Airbnb offers unprecedented access to local communities and interests through 30,000+ unique, handcrafted activities run by hosts across 1,000+ markets around the world. Airbnb’s people-to-people platform benefits all its stakeholders, including hosts, guests, employees and the communities in which it operates.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a 6-month contractor opportunity based in Berlin, Germany.
The Homes team is seeking an ambitious, bright, forward-thinking, entrepreneurial and high-spirited Market Manager, DACH, CEE & CIS to join our Berlin-based team, responsible for a subsegment of the German-speaking, Central and Eastern European countries and Commonwealth of Independent States (DACH/CEE/CIS). The candidate will join a very fast-paced environment in one of Airbnb’s most dynamic and high profile markets, with a diverse community.
The Market Manager will be responsible for maximizing partner relationships with Airbnb Homes hosts with the goal of supply optimization in their assigned geos. Large focus lies on sales and acquisition to onboard professional hosts ranging from vacation rental agencies and property managers in key German-speaking markets. The candidate will have the possibility to learn and assume the responsibility for driving new business opportunities for key destination markets and to action strategic opportunities to drive growth. The successful candidate will report into the Territory Manager for the DACH, CEE & CIS markets.
● Build holistic plans to meet and exceed supply-related goals (e.g. health, nights, revenue) on assigned markets, potentially mobilizing other internal and external stakeholders.
● Provide account servicing in assigned market(s) demonstrating proficiency in managing difficult relationships and identifying the right service model for each account tier.
● Analyze trends and data to identify and action strategic opportunities to drive increased growth in assigned markets leveraging a good understanding of the drivers of growth and profitability and their expected impact.
● Drive account optimization via feature adoption, content quality, and business reviews based on account priorities. Autonomously define strategy to remove adoption blockers.
● Implement scalable acquisition programs to identify and onboard high quality supply.
● Take initiative, operate with a sense of urgency, and actively seek opportunities to drive business performance in assigned geographies. Demonstrate the ability to handle ambiguity.
● Develop and nurture long term relationships with priority accounts and consistently deliver exceptional service, displaying ability to solve complex issues.
● Travel to assigned markets and act as an ambassador for Airbnb in external meetings with Professional Account partners. Display crisp and open communication increasing trust in the brand.
● Communicate and educate accounts on product changes and cascade feedback to relevant internal stakeholders, displaying the ability to collect and summarize feedback also from other markets/geographies.
● Operate effectively with cross functional teams and internal stakeholders - product, policy, marketing, revenue operations, data science, etc. Demonstrates the ability to lead multi-functional and/or multi-country initiatives.
● Provide structured inputs into planning process for Supply (goals, key initiatives)
● Demonstrate a good understanding of i) key hosts' and guests' needs and ii) local and global competitive dynamics. Build compelling cases to close gaps, influencing the roadmap of central teams.
● Build well structured cases to improve existing tools and processes or to create new ones. Create consensus around the proposals working with internal stakeholders.
● Act as a subject matter expert on complex topics (typically involving the coordination of multiple stakeholders). Provide direct feedback to senior leadership around process improvements, growth strategy, and team effectiveness.
● Support key regional initiatives by coordinating between leadership and Account team.
● Display learning attitude.
● 4+ years of experience leading business development initiatives
● Proven track record setting strategies and delivering on them
● Excellent German language skills (minimum C1 level) and English language skills; additional Eastern European languages are a plus
● Ability to navigate challenging conversations and drive success of complex initiatives across multiple functions (externally and internally)
● Comfortable performing data analysis and making decisions based on the results
● Ability to balance time spent between strategic initiatives and diving into the details when necessary
● Experience building and strengthening relationships with external partners
● Strong executive presence and the ability to effectively make recommendations to top leaders internally and within the industry.
● Have a passion for redefining travel, Airbnb, and being the best!
● Proactive self-starter able to prioritize and manage work autonomously
● Excellent verbal/written communication and presentation skills