Backend Senior Software Engineer - Screenings, Trust
San Francisco, United States or
Seattle, United States
What is Trust at Airbnb?
Over two million people stay on Airbnb every night. The Trust Engineering team keeps our hosts and guests safe and supported throughout the entire Airbnb experience.
The Trust Engineering team designs and builds scalable, robust systems that prevent fraud and abuse. It additionally improves safety in the physical world. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of building highly available and real-time risk detection services in close collaboration with product, data science and operations teams to understand ever evolving attack vectors and to keep Airbnb a safe and trusted community. There are still many unsolved problems to tackle in both online and offline risk, and we're looking for talented engineers to solve these challenges with us.
About the Screenings Team on Trust
The Screenings team is responsible for user eligibility. We think a lot about our guests and hosts, and how they use our platform. We aim to keep them safe in the real world through background checks and other safety-oriented policies.
We strive to design and enforce industry-leading policies to promote user safety.
To progress toward this goal, the team dives deeply into data. We discover patterns, propose hypotheses, and successfully launch safety improvements. We also build reliable, scalable infrastructure to ensure performant and available systems.
User safety is a rich area that involves collaborations across specialties and domains. The Screenings Engineering team works closely with Product and Operations to create simple, intuitive user experiences and workflows. We also work closely with the Policy, Legal, Anti-Discrimination, and Privacy teams.
What is a Senior Software Engineer on the Screenings team?
- Demonstrate technical leadership by mentoring team members, performing design and code reviews, and proactively raising the team's technical quality
- Architect, build, and maintain Risk Evaluation systems and associated infrastructure
- Architect, build, and maintain Policy Enforcement systems and and associated infrastructure
- Analyze data to better understand user safety, and contribute to our team strategy
- Build machine learning pipelines to detect risk and assist ops decision making
- Work with partner functions which may include product, data science, policy, and ops.
- 6+ years industry experience
- Strong Java coding ability
- Strong industry experience in architectural patterns of large, data-driven applications, API design, and data modeling
- Passion for delivering products end-to-end, from ideation through planning and scoping to implementation and experimental A/B testing
- Experience or desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with product, data science, operations, and policy partners
- Experience in Data Analysis and Statistical Modeling is a plus, but not a requirement
- Experience in Python and Ruby on Rails is a plus
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
We are hiring engineers in San Francisco and Seattle.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status