Senior Software Engineer, Marketplace Dynamics
San Francisco, United States
Hosting at Airbnb:
When Airbnb first started, we introduced the world to Hosting. Hosting is Airbnb’s core business and we work on everything from driving improvements to the Host experience to launching new product verticals from the ground up. The Hosting team aims to inspire and empower people around the world to live richer lives by Hosting on Airbnb. Hosting means many things here at Airbnb. We support Hosts who offer individual Homes, Experiences, multiple Homes, and Hotels on the platform. Within engineering, Hosting is critical to driving and maintaining our Airbnb Community, with our work significantly impacting a wide range of products and users. If you are energized by having your work gain high visibility to millions of users and drive impact for the company's bottom line, Hosting is a great place to launch and amplify your Airbnb career
Marketplace Dynamics at Airbnb:
The Marketplace Dynamics team directly impacts the success of guests, hosts and Airbnb’s business by giving tools to hosts pricing their listings, establishing effective cancellation policies, and optimizing Airbnb’s fees and monetization strategy. The team also provides a common understanding of marketplace dynamics through data acquisition and models that the entire Homes organization can use to inform strategy, power products, and drive growth. We’re looking for engineers who are thoughtful, creative, and passionate about building the best possible product infra, services, and product experiences, working closely with designers, product managers, and data scientists.
Across the team, Marketplace Dynamics engineers at Airbnb operate at all levels, including core services, data pipelines, essential business systems, mobile products, and customer-facing features. We’re responsible for a range of product surfaces across Host and Guest experiences in the marketplace, and the initiatives we drive span across foundational core infrastructure to rapid feature iteration.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
Projects and Teams:
- Pricing, Monetization, Cancellation: Building a suite of pricing services for the Homes business, including systems responsible for powering all price calculation and display, supporting host-facing products related to pricing, promotions, cancellation policies, fees, and availability operations, and enabling guest facing pricing features; provide advanced insights, pricing tools and algorithms to our hosts based on their needs, and drive direct impact to hosts' success and Airbnb's business growth.
- Platform: Creating highly scalable data, derived data, and infrastructure services that power Host and Guest-facing product services and pipelines related to listing prices, calendar availability, merchandising of listings, and more. Working closely with other parts of the MDX team and across Airbnb to deliver lasting services which provide the foundation from product innovation to data insights.
- 6+ years of full-time work experience in software engineering, information technology, or related domains.
- Willing to work across the stack to address technical challenges anywhere in the system.
- Interest in working in a cross-functional team that touches many of the core systems and user flows at Airbnb.
- Proficiency in one or more backend server languages (Ruby/Python/Java/Go/C++/etc.), and expertise in popular storage systems such as relational databases, noSQL and caching.
- Experience with designing and building large scale production systems or features.
- Knowledge of SOA (Service Oriented Architecture) designs.
- Knowledge of creating external facing APIs
- Advanced analytical thinking demonstrated by making product decisions based on data and A/B testing.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...