Senior Staff Software Engineer, Foundational Modeling
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Trust Engineering at Airbnb:
Everyone at Airbnb thinks about trust, but our team obsesses over it daily. At the core of trust is safety, and thus we spend a significant amount of our time and energy keeping the community safe. The Trust Org is responsible for protecting our community and platform from fraud while also ensuring our hosts, guests, homes, and experiences meet our high standards. We constantly work to fight against online and offline fraud. We also work on onboarding and screening of users, and think about complex topics such as identity to ensure that every interaction with Airbnb helps build trust in us and our community. Trust Engineering within Trust Org is responsible for the technology vision and development of a complex stack that runs on every key interaction on the platform.
We’re looking for a senior staff engineer to join our Foundational Modeling team (part of Trust Engineering) that is responsible for a Machine Learning Platform, a core capability that enables Trust product teams to build machine learning solutions to stop bad actors from doing bad things on Airbnb.
As a senior staff engineer on the Foundational Modeling team, you will help keep Airbnb users safe by working across diverse teams and systems to enable sophisticated safety strategies. You are eager to understand complex systems top to bottom and thrive working across technologies and codebases. Your contributions take a variety of shapes:
- Define overall technical architecture for major parts of our machine learning platform within Airbnb Trust
- Develop reusable, highly differentiating and high-performing machine learning algorithms/frameworks/tools to enable Trust product teams to build, productionize, and operate best-in-class machine learning solutions that keep Airbnb community safe
- Develop scalable, reliable and generic data pipelines and feature store that are reused by many machine learning use cases to generate and manage high quality data sets
- Build cutting edge machine learning models that are used as building blocks to create intelligent solutions that detect fraud and risk on Airbnb platform or help humans make decisions
- Work with cross-functional teams with design, product, data science, and research partners to drive engineering decisions
Who are we looking for:
- 7+ years industry experience
- Strong coding skills in Scala / Python / Java
- Deep understanding of machine learning algorithms and best practices
- Experience with one or more of these technologies: Docker, Kubernetes, Spark, Airflow (or equivalent), Tensorflow, PyTorch, Kafka (or equivalent), data warehouse (eg. Hive)
- Experience or desire to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams in design, product, data science, operations, and research
- Bonus: Industry experience building and productionization of machine learning models in Fraud Detection
- Bonus: Industry experience building end-to-end machine learning infrastructure