Engineering Manager, Guest Web Platform
San Francisco, United States
About Guest Experience at Airbnb
The Guest Experience team is responsible for the end-to-end guest journey on Airbnb. We build product experiences such as the online reservation flow from search to book and we lead strategic initiatives that unlock new audiences and drive increased loyalty. We are building the storefront to community-powered travel while making it fun to plan, and easy to book on Airbnb.
About the Guest Web Platform Team within Guest Experience
The Guest Web Platform Team is responsible for accelerating and simplifying the engineering tasks of building products on web Frontend (desktop and mobile web) for the end-to-end guest journey on Airbnb. By developing and constantly refining the Guest Platform, our cross-platform Server Driven UI framework built on GraphQL, the team supports product engineers, who can then focus exclusively on the guest experience, rather than having to deal with the complexity of behind the scenes services and infrastructure.
The team also drives the web performance effort for the Guest Experience organization, and beyond, as it helps set goals and strategies for performance at the company level.
About the Role
The larger team (Guest Platform) is truly full stack as it is composed of engineers that have collective expertise of backend, frontend, and mobile native engineering. Since this is a web role, the Engineering Manager will lead the platformization and performance efforts for the web Frontend stack, and will require a good knowledge of modern web Frontend techniques and offerings. The engineering manager will collaborate closely with other managers and tech leads in the Guest Platform Working Group to collectively define the Guest Platform roadmap. The engineering manager will also engage regularly with teams in other organizations, both on the product and infrastructure sides, to respectively support these internal customer teams, and align with infrastructure internal best practices and paved roads.
The engineering manager will be directly responsible for managing the Guest Web Platform’s team goals, roadmap, progress measuring/reporting methodology and other team logistics. On top of it, the engineering manager will mentor and develop each individual team member, to continually ensure a healthy, well balanced, aligned, energized, productive and fun team.
This is not considered an infrastructure position: the team’s ultimate goal is to enable a better (more intuitive, faster, beautiful, personalized) guest facing experience built by productive engineers, not an increase in service reliability or other pure infrastructure gains.
The projects that the team builds enable Airbnb scale faster and faster: imagine a world where with a single button click, a complete templated user flow can be generated, ready to be fleshed out, polished and beautified by product engineers.
Concretely, this means that we build and work with code generation, CI/CD, smart configurations, multiple types of experimentation frameworks, advanced data fetching/hydrating systems, and a streamlined SOA architecture. The team’s engineers can be working one day on improving the build process efficiency for our frontend serving code, and say on a new web framework to fetch data from backend services in a more efficient and flexible day the next day.
The platformization engineers are the essential link between Airbnb's Product and Infrastructure/Foundation teams, with a focus on development velocity and collaboration. Of course, we work closely with world class product managers, designers, and data scientists. But even more often, we work closely with other engineers from product teams, by understanding their productivity pain points and how to resolve them in a scalable, simple and flexible way. There are 100+ Airbnb engineers using the Guest Platform and performance framework today. Along the way, there will be multiple opportunities for mentorship (give and receive), as well as an expectation to influence the directions of the overall Server Driven UI architecture and frameworks at Airbnb.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- 8+ years industry experience
- 4+ years of engineering management experience
- Familiar with latest web Frontend technologies, such as the React, Typescript and GraphQL ecosystems
- Experience with platform architecture patterns and best practices. Experience with building and leading platform or server driven UI is a big plus
- Experience and knowledge of latest trends on web performance engineering
- Retained, mentored and hired senior engineers and leaders with a track record of building productive, world-class engineering teams.
- Effectively worked with senior leadership in setting strategic 12+ month direction.
- Experience with effectively creating alignment with multiple teams and operating well in ambiguity
- Track record in partnering with recruiting to build incredible engineering teams
- Actively coached and mentored team members in their careers
- Experience in directly setting technical product strategy and roadmaps
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering
- Repeatedly shipped large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
- Deep experience of understanding and solving engineering productivity pain points (developer experience)
- Ability to work in areas outside of your usual comfort zone and show motivation for personal growth
- Demonstrated technical leadership of a platformization effort within a large engineering organization
- Demonstrated ability to design and advocate for a technical roadmap, as a strategy and prioritization exercise
- Demonstrated highly collaborative skills supporting multiple product teams on shipping products in parallel
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Candidate Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.