Senior Staff Engineer, Guest Experience
San Francisco, United States
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. As an economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 220 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
Engineers on the Guest Experience team build world-class systems to support our Airbnb guests from all over the world to ensure they have a great experience, 24/7, and 365 days a year.
As a senior technical individual contributor, you will bring a unique skill set and experience to our organization, and work to solve some of the broader technical challenges within the Guest Experience team and across Airbnb. Operating in a microservices environment creates significant challenges for how we orchestrate complex business workflows such as booking & payment processing, user reactivation and notification scheduling. Your focus will be on leading the development of a Workflow Orchestration system that will be used across all of Airbnb. You will drive the organizational collaboration and architectural simplification necessary to build a best in class system. You will not only work on both the overall architecture for this system, but you will also lend expertise to specific teams and deep dive into projects as needed.
Our engineering organization is one where we value everyone’s input and ideas. Although you will be working at a senior level, all individual contributors at Airbnb who are Software Engineers are expected to be hands on, and contribute code.
- Define overall technical architecture for major parts of the Guest Experience space
- Architect large scale reliable systems to support continuous growth of the business
- Develop innovative strategies, processes and best practices to reduce technical debt, increase observability and reliability, to enable both business continuity and technology transformation for the Guest Experience
- Understand how key technical decisions will drive business outcomes
- Influence the organization, engineering leaders, product managers, and the business to develop a unified approach for our Booking Workflow and Orchestration system
- Maximizing the growth and impact of other senior engineers at Airbnb through mentorship, advice, and leading groups designed to align technical initiatives and decisions
- 10+ years relevant industry experience in a fast paced, high growth tech environment
- Experience building, leading, and architecting large, high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms)
- Proven impact as senior staff engineer or equivalent on a complex technology area spanning several teams
- Bonus: Experience working in a JVM-based Service-Oriented Architecture and a modern frontend stack
- Bonus: Experience leading a technology transformation for business-critical systems